Advice on planned system

• Members

I have been doing a lot of research and check thing out on here and other places. I have a planned system that I have the money to start buying. Before I hit the stores I was hoping for some advice from the more "PA experienced". My main planned use for this is my small band and eventually I'd like something I can make some money renting out.

Here's the basic plan:

- Furman Power Conditioner (own it)

- Alesis 3630 Compressor (own it)

- Lexicon MX200

- dbx 231 EQ

- Crown XS900

- Carvin C2440 24 Channel Mixer

- Yamaha S115V (2)

That should get me by for the band situation I think. A little more long term I would add:

- dbx Driverack

- Crown XS1200

- Crown Yamahe SW218V

- Replacement for the 3630??

I would think that would give me enough to start renting out for varioud DJ/Karaoke and so forth.

I've got the cash ready to go for the basic setup. I am just holding off in case you guys see a "hole" in my plan.

• Members

With a small system... I am always hoing to keep things really simple. Simple is good. With a system that small, I just do not think you really need to mess with all that outboard gear... the compressor, Lexicon unit (that is an effects unit right?), or even the EQ.

When I bought my msall system i bought all that stuff too... but it was just a bunch of hassle, and didn't really add much. Actually, my system sounded better when I started leaving my EQ and compressor at home. I am not familiar with that mixer, but if it has any effects in it at all, I bet they would be good enough for almost everything... all you really need is the EQ in the channel strips, and a little bit of reverb to juice the vocals up *a little*, and less really is more.

I would rather see you skip all the out boards... just not necessary. Actually, personally, I would rather see you with some powered speakers, (which take advantage of many design advantages many times) but there is nothing wrong of course with using separate amps. Again... I just like to keep things simple.

At some point, if you really get successful, things will get plenty complicated... but somebody will be paying you good money to put up with it at that point.

• Members

t guns,

I agree with Rbts, especially if you're running the system from stage. The simpler, the better. You'll know when it's time to add to the system.

I have a Carvin C2444, 24 channel mixer, in a hard case, for sale. It does have built-in effects, as well.

PM me, if you're interested.

Joel

• Members

If you plan on renting out insure your investment and yea just keep it basic but make sure it's expandable because once you start out. Usually later on you'll find yourself needing to add on more not sure about the mixer most here will tell you a A&H mixwiz is about the best you can get for weekend warrior gigging anyway good luck on your future purchase.

Archived