Rack screws.

• Members

I finally went into a newer small professional hardware chain store for mine - Fastonal. online www.fastonal.com They are listed as "socket head cap screws". 10-32 for standard racks. I've used 1/2" length for a while (bought elsewhere) and they are adaquate for all but QSC PLX power amps with the thicker cast rack ears. So I bought 5/8" lengths and they worked much better. Around $9 per hundred. Pick up a bag of 100 number 10 washers while you are at it. Funny thing is Fastonal carries "Allen" brand scews but NOT in the size required ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

I hate allen heads. If you have a component fail and dont have the right tools, you are SOL. At least if it is phillips you can usually find a phillips screwdriver.

Phillips head screws often allow the driver to slip, a proper sized and fully inserted allen head does not. If you use allen (socket) head screws, you should have the proper diver with you for when you may need it. Gee, same as if you might need a Phillips screwdriver, you should have it with your gear. Begging for tools at a gig is SO unprofessional.

Boomerweps

• Members

Phillips head screws often allow the driver to slip, a proper sized and fully inserted allen head does not. If you use allen (socket) head screws, you should have the proper diver with you for when you may need it. Gee, same as if you might need a Phillips screwdriver, you should have it with your gear. Begging for tools at a gig is SO unprofessional.

Boomerweps

Same could be said for phillips heads. I have used crappy made ones and ones that were durable and properly sized.

Also, I had said *if* you dont have the tools, a phillips screw driver is more easily found.

To each their own I suppose.

• Members

I really like the button head cap screws that I put in my racks. McMaster Carr (
) has these available, part # 91255A267, in 10-32 x 5/8 size. They look nice and clean, and the hex drives (allen) don't slip and are easy to use, as noted above.

Considered the button head version. They look really nice but I like the (cheaper ;>) cap head version, easier to turn in initially with your fingers. Plus they have that industrial metal look ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

With socket head screws, generally the screw is harder than the driver so if you have an accident, the driver gets damaged rather than the screw. It's a simple mater of dressing the driver down for a new tip, assuming you don't ruin the heat treating of course.

Archived