Do I need a sub?

• Members

So my mains are JBL 2X15 3ways. I realize this speak config. is not a real favorite around here but I was thinking that a pair of legit subs under my main enclosures would do two things. 1: raise the height of the full range mains when playing shows with no stage and 2: give me lower lows...

Is this a viable option or a waste of money?

Thanks

• CMS Author

It's a viable option. Me being me I'd probably rewire the 2x15's into 2-ways.

It really wouldn't be a terrible idea to consider using subs and 1x12's or 1x15's pole mounted to the subs, which would save you a lot of weight and some space, and you could probably find better speakers.

• Members

Rewiring would probably keep it slightly less mushy I'm guessing. Any suggestions on how to do this? I have wired guitar cabs before and am not a total knuckle dragger w/ an iron? In the interest of not repeating my previous soundfactor f-up... What moderately priced meaning~$500 or less each subs would you recommend? I have been looking at Yams and JBLs. I was planning on getting a separate amp for this as well. I am using QSC RMX stuff and will probably continue too. My mains run off a 2450, would a 1450 be adequate for a pair of subs?

Thanks

Archived