Power amp/speaker questions

• Members

I have another question for you guys - you've been a huge help so far!

I'm slowly building a club system for medium sized rooms 100 - 200 people.

So far, I have a pair of JBL SRX715 tops, a pair of home-built sub cabs (I used Eminence designer) loaded with a pair of Eminence Magnum LF drivers (800 watts each) in a front-loaded reflex design.

Current power is two QSC RMX2450 amps, one for the tops and one for the subs.

I need to power my monitors now. I'm using Yamaha SM15V monitors, and have 4 monitor mixes.

Would you: 1) buy two ~300w per channel @ 8ohm amps?

or 2) buy two bigger main amps and use the RMX2450 amps for monitors?

I found a pair of Peavey PV-1500 amps for about 275 each. They're 300 per side at 8 ohms.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I run (4) Yamaha CM15V monitors and originaly had them powered with a pair of QSC PLX2402 amps (425w @ 8ohms) and while it did a decent job I feel that once I switched my monitor amps to a pair of QSC PLX3002 amps (550w @ 8ohms) my monitors where noticeably louder, cleaner sounding and easier to ring out using much less EQ tweaking.

• Members

Remember, if you are using an 800 watt speaker but being driven by a 500 watt amp, dont push it unless you are ready to do some repairs. You'll possibly burn them up (the speakers)...... easily if pushed. Not enough amp for the speakers, depending on what type of music you are playing.

Like the others above had said, you shouldnt need much for monitors if you are playing small clubs or such. Unless, you want a little of EVERYTHING in your monitors. If you cant hear the vocals, turn down the instrument amps, or take everything else out of your monitors, or both. Proper stage volume is where it begins and ends, and let the PA do it's job. Just as your monitor is there for YOU to hear (not for the audience to hear), the same goes for your instrument amps, unless your PA isnt big enough to handle the load.

I hope this helps.

• Members

I ended up picking up an RMX1450 in mint condition for 225.00. I could use it bridged to power the subs, or in stereo to power two monitors. I'll likely start by powering monitors.

The RMX2450s should be ok for the SRX715s and subs, as long as I have the clip limiter engaged on both... I hope.

• Members

Remember, if you are using an 800 watt speaker but being driven by a 500 watt amp, dont push it unless you are ready to do some repairs. You'll possibly burn them up (the speakers)...... easily if pushed. Not enough amp for the speakers, depending on what type of music you are playing.

Please, please, please stop spreading that nonsense. That has got to be the most misunderstood topic in audio.

Archived