Stupid Me

• Members

We played a really nice banquet hall last night. It's a good size room (10,000 to 15,000 sq.ft. - I didn't measure) and a nice performance stage. Since it was our first time there we arrived early for set-up and sound check. Since this was an associations annual event I was really concerned about being too loud, so the entire sound check focused on that aspect. By the end of the sound check we found the perfect settings for the cocktail reception, dinner set and dance set.

The stage volume was normal for the dance set, but a little loud for the other sets. But during sound check I noticed that from the audiences perspective, the stage volume didn't make a difference in overall sound in the room. With everything cleaned-up and put away, we left for an hour, so everything was shut down.

Everyone showed up on time and we began to play a 6PM, right on schedule. We had a great first set and no one once complained about the volume. Yes! We got it right. After the cocktail set we started the transition to our acoustic dinner set. I went to make a few changes on the mixer and that's when I noticed why no one complained about our volume. I never turned on my FOH amp. C R A P!

All of that work for nothing. Worse, I have no idea how we sounded out front. The guitar amps are used just for the stage. It must have just sounded like bass & drums with some guitar and vocals. How embarrassing.

When we set up last night I did comment to one of my bandmates that I didn't like the location of the amp rack and mixer because I couldn't see them. I could get to them, but I like to see all of the power and clip lights. But sound check was done and I really didn't feel like moving anything. What a mistake.

The rest of the evening was great. We had a great night, but I just can't stop beating myself up over such a stupid mistake.

• Members

Maybe not having FOH was the perfect level for the audience at hand. What YOU might have wanted could have been very different than what the audience actually wanted (and received).

Lesson to be learned? Less is often better, many folks do NOT wantto be pummeled by loud music, loud speakers and throbbing low end.

You may have in reality nailed it this time, and would have screwed the pooch with any more volume by FOH speakers.

Archived