First Indoor Gig Review

• Members

I posted on here a few weeks ago looking about my upcoming first indoor gig. Well, we had it this past weekend and here are my observations along with a few more questions.

Observations:

1 - Feedback never became an issue like I had feared, except when the acoustic guitar "Had" to be louder in the monitors.

2 - The volume my system puts out is perfect (in my opinion) for a 40 X 70room. Basically PV1600 and PV3800 tri-amped with 2 SP218's and 2 SP2's. Crystal clear without pushing things and nobody complaining of it being too loud.

3 - Don't waste your best material on sober people at the begining of the show. I couldn't pay people to dance on the first song but I couldn't keep them off the dance floor at the end of the third set.

Qustions:

1 - Everytime I have used my rig, I get the same clipping at the same spot. The PV 3800 has a built in crossover at 100hz. That is what i use for a crossover and send everything above that to the tops. The low frequency side of the PV1600 will flicker once in a while with the kick drum and the bass guitar. Should I add an outboard crossover and change the crossover point. I'm not really looking for more volume as much as running the same volume with no red lights ever. The subs say 51 - 300 hz for their frequncy response, so it seems logical to me to crossover a little higher.

2 - I have a peavey compressor/expander/limiter and I can't figure out how to use it. Would that be able to even out the kick drum to compensate for the varrying kicks of the drummer? He tends to get excited andhit too hard sometimes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Members

100Hz is about right IME, though if you increased to about 150Hz you may solve one issue but end up with another. You may need more PA as a real soution, but if the limiters are engaged on the amps, some flashing of the clip/limit light just means low band limiting and that isn't going to hurt anything at all.

YOu could also try compressing the kick, but just take maybe 4-6dB off the loudest hits and leave everything else alone . Sometimes this works but sometimes it doesn't sound all that good.

• Members

3 - Don't waste your best material on sober people at the begining of the show. I couldn't pay people to dance on the first song but I couldn't keep them off the dance floor at the end of the third set.

I couldn't agree more. Our best dance songs go into our second set. This past weekend we finished the set and I thought the crowd on the dance floor was going to kill us when if we said we'd be back in 15 minutes...so we just kept going.

Beer, helping people dance all over the world.

Archived