Their's or Mine?

• Members

I have a gig scheduled for next month where the house has a PA. In the 30+ gig's my band has performed, we have provided our own equipment. As much as I look forward to showing up with only a guitar vs. a thousand pounds of gear, I'm concerned about the quality of their gear, the quality of our sound through their gear, and a sound guy that I don't know.

This is new territory for me. Do I bring my gear or use the house PA? BTW, they get a lot of popular bands at this venue and I have heard many - some sound great and some not so great. But that could be the band or sound guy. I just don't want to have a bad night because the sound guy can't figure us out.

• Members

I have a gig scheduled for next month where the house has a PA. In the 30+ gig's my band has performed, we have provided our own equipment. As much as I look forward to showing up with only a guitar vs. a thousand pounds of gear, I'm concerned about the quality of their gear, the quality of our sound through their gear, and a sound guy that I don't know.

This is new territory for me. Do I bring my gear or use the house PA? BTW, they get a lot of popular bands at this venue and I have heard many - some sound great and some not so great. But that could be the band or sound guy. I just don't want to have a bad night because the sound guy can't figure us out.

You could always get someone qualified to run the house rig as a Band Engineer.

Where in NJ are you located, and where is the gig?

I'm right over the NJ border in southern NY (Rockland County), PM me and we can talk if this is something you're interested in. I think we have a few NJ members too, might not be bad to have a BE that knows the band for these types of occasional gigs. Even if it's not me you work with, I think you'll have better results networking with another forum member than taking a random crap shoot with someone from the Aquarian or Steppin' Out (local music weekly mags for those of you not in the NY/NJ area).

• Members

Unless you are used to using a POD or similar, make sure you bring a guitar amp/cab. Even if the venue says they have an appropriate guitar amp (eg. Fender / Marshall), bring a small combo with you as a backup.

Most places usually have the PA system sorted out, because it's constantly in use. But, sometimes the guitar amps are in dire need of repair, and nobody notices until it gets to you.

You can easily mic up a small combo amp if you get stuck in a bind, and they're pretty easy to transport.

• Members

Thanks for the reply s. The venue is the Pattenburg House (Hunterdon County, NJ).

They do have a HE, who I've met, but know nothing of his ability. But as piedwho suggested above, this guy should know the ins-n-outs of this system. I'm sure I'm worried about nothing. I just feel a bit uncomfortable not being the BE for the evening.

Sound has always been my job. I'll have nothing to do that evening but sing and play. I guess I should welcome the break for an evening.

Archived