Quick cabling 1/4" male to XLR female and Banana plug to speakon question

• Members

Hi

I just made my first speaker cable, banana plug - speakon, the wire is poking out of the top of the banana plug a little, will that effect the sound ? It seems there is no way to attach the banana plugs so the cable is not exposed to the air, will this effect the sound ?

It looks similar to this pic:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/preparing-your-own-diy-speaker-cables/image004.jpg

Only the cable isn't sticking out the top so much.

Cable 2:

I'm gonna make a shielded female XLR - male 1/4", the 1/4" connection is took off a speaker cable, will it be different from a 1/4" connector off a shielded cable ?

Cheers

Mike

• Members

Cable 1 should be fine. Just try to trim or back it out so it is flush (if possible) and like square said, make sure it doesnt touch anything.

Cable 2 - speaker 1/4" connection are usually Tip/Sleeve. Balanced 1/4" connections are Tip/Ring/Sleeve. If you make a XLR to 1/4 TR cable, it will be unbalanced.

• Members

Those are not good bannana plugs for any live use. The wire binding mechanism will come loose all the time. Also, the wire needs to be pushed through the hole up to the insulation, then completely trimmed at the other end after tightening. Stray wire can easily and often mean the death to a power amp. Any connection between the two poles ofthe connector must be avoided, even for a moment.

What EXACTLY are you doing with the input connection... there are different wiring schemes for different types of signals for the adaptor you are trying to make. Generally, you would use a TRS 1/4" connector which is NOT what would be used for speakers.

• Members

Thanks for your replies guys.

I would want the cable to be balanced, so i'll cut off an end from an old guitar lead and use that.

The Banana plugs - speakon cable is unbalanced 2X2.5mm cores sealed cable for my power amp to speaker.

The second cable is just transfering the signal from my mixer out to the power amp in, so want it to be balanced.

Will def make sure the banana plug end of the cable is clipped when I get back home, it will be used in my living room / rehearsal / recording room, so wont be moved much, I wouldn't use them live, they come off too easilly.

Cheers !

Mike

• Members

Thanks again for the correction AgedHorse.

I'll be using mic cable with stereo TRS 1/4".

3 Pole connector is always a stereo connector right ?

Cheers !

Mike

No, a 1/4" TRS phone plug type cord end is a 3 pole connector, which is used for a variety of applications that requires a 3 pole connector, including:

1) Stereo: Tip=Left, Ring=Right, Sleeve=common NEG

2) Balanced: Tip=Pos, Ring=NEG, Sleeve=GND

3) Insertion:

A) Tip=Send, Ring=Return, Sleeve=GND

B) Tip=Return, Ring=Send, Sleeve=GND

4) 80's vintage Litton microwave oven temp probe: Tip=Pos, Ring=GND, Sleeve=Neg.

5) S&G combine thrashing monitor: Tip=12V pos, Ring=signal, Sleeve, GND.

6) Global 5000# pallet scale: Tip=4.5v pos, Ring=4.5v neg, Sleeve= neutral.

7) My Chevy van's keyring identifier: Tip=red wire, Ring=black wire, Sleeve=red & black wires tied together

Chances are the application I believe you are possibly trying to explain could be the # 2 above listed wiring scheme.

• Members

Haha thanks,so just to be sure i'll give you guys link to which connector i've bought:

Cable was originally van damme Neutrik xlr-xlr, right now it's female xlr - nothing.

This is the connector i've bought to make the cable balanced shielded xlr - male 1/4":

Neutrik NP3X 3-pole stereo 1/4" 6.3mm jack plug

http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/210_135449292/NP3X_detail.aspx

I'll use it from my mono mixer output (mixer has 3 outputs, left-right + mono (mono has optional high frequncy cut off to be used with woofer), i'm using mono as only using 1 speaker.

Cheers

Mike

Archived