Cutting Thru The Mix

• Members

I've just started using some backing tracks that I recorded to use with my 3 piece band and they sound fabulous however, I have noticed that, at times, either the backing tracks OR my leads on guitar seem to be getting lost in the mix. What are some of the basic prinicples for getting sounds to 'cut thru the mix?' and/or project clearly?

Thanks!

• Members

You might have to scoop out some frequencies of another instrument. For instance, if you can't hear the attack or slap of a kick drum, try turning down a little bit of the high mid on the guitar, and you might gain some slap. Of course, you now lose that frequency on the guitar, but if it sounds good in the mix... Another thing my old guitarist would do was set his solo pickup at a higher volume than the rhythm one. That way during a solo he'd just flick his switch and gain the DB that he needed.

• Members

As sharnrock said, in order to get a clear mix, you'll have to give each instrument it's own sonic space. If the bass is getting lost and muddy, cut some of the lows out of the guitars. If the guitars are getting lost, boost up some mids and cut the lows and some highs. Most guitarists solve this problem by reaching over and turning their master volume knob clockwise... which in turn makes the other guitarist(s) and bass player turn their amps up... which in turn makes the singer ask for more monitors... which makes the guitarist turn his amp up... then the bassist... then the singer wants more monitor yet... *sigh*

For your leads, sharnrock also suggested that you leave the bridge pickup at a higher volume than the others for a solo boost. If your amp has two (or three channels), set a lead channel to be louder than the others, with more mids, to get the leads to cut through. If you can do neither of those, a simple boost pedal (or an EQ pedal with the mids boosted) will do the trick.

Archived