• Members

Double the 2 ohm output/channel for bridged mode into 4 ohms.

So I understand this Ohm thing, if I had only 1 sub at 8 ohms then I would read the 8 ohm output, correct? What if you had 4 subs at 8 ohms each and 1 amp to run them? Would this be the 2 ohm output on the amp?

• Members

Bridged changes things. 1- 8 ohm sub gets twice the 4 ohm rating. Two 8 ohm subs (or one 4 ohm sub) get twice the 2 ohm rating. Some amps can't do the latter BTW.

Example:

If a QSC rmx850 delivers 200@8 ohms, 300 @ 4 ohms, 430@ 2 ohms (close enough for an example, since I don't remember)

Bridged output is: 600 @ 8 ohms (4 ohm ratingx2) 860@4 ohms (your two subs@ 8ohms each)

Hope that helps.

• Members

So I understand this Ohm thing, if I had only 1 sub at 8 ohms then I would read the 8 ohm output, correct? What if you had 4 subs at 8 ohms each and 1 amp to run them? Would this be the 2 ohm output on the amp?

In stereo, you could run two on each side, or four on one side if the amp is 2 ohm stable. Bridged is different...only two of those subs can be run in bridged mode IF the amp IS 2 ohm stable in bridged mode...some are only 2ohm stable in stereo mode. Some are neither.

• Members

Yep.

8 + 8 = 4 ohms nominal

8 + 8 + 8 = 2.6667 ohms nominal

8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 2 ohms nominal

IMO if you're running 4 subs you're better off driving a pair of subs per side of the amp. Bridged at 2 ohms is really hard on amps, and most aren't even rated to drive a 2 ohm load bridged. At 2 ohms you're creating a lot of stress on the amplifier (which equals heat) and as well at 2 ohms there's much more signal loss over longer cable runs.

Try to stay away from bridging your amps, it's just one more thing that can go wrong. That few extra watts gets you maybe another decibel or two of output, if that. Save your amps and save your drivers.

• Members

What amps and speakers exactly?

Bridging into 2 ohms is a sure path to amplifier destruction with only one or two exceptions.

If you don't understand how bridging works, and why it should be used, and how ratings work, you shouldn't be doing it IMO.

Archived