Peavey 16fx vs. Carvin C1644U vs. ???

• Members

Hello gurus:

Perhaps you can help me decide on a board..... I am looking for a board that has at least 16 channels and 4 pre-fader aux sends that i can run as monitor channels. I've found that these two sit within my budget.

I like that the Carvin unit has 16 actual inputs (no stereo pairs) so we can configure it whatever way we need. However, I like the fact that the peavey is rackable. It seems to have good reviews across the board as well.

though both are similar in price, I've found a Peavey for a little cheaper used.

I know I should be considering a Mix Wiz as well, but 1k is a little above what I can spend right now (unless you know of a good used one I can acquire).

help! Thanks.

-jon

• Members

Hello gurus:

Perhaps you can help me decide on a board..... I am looking for a board that has at least 16 channels and 4 pre-fader aux sends that i can run as monitor channels. I've found that these two sit within my budget.

I like that the
Carvin
unit has 16 actual inputs (no stereo pairs) so we can configure it whatever way we need. However, I like the fact that the
peavey
is rackable. It seems to have good reviews across the board as well.

though both are similar in price, I've found a Peavey for a little cheaper used.

I know I should be considering a Mix Wiz as well, but 1k is a little above what I can spend right now (unless you know of a good used one I can acquire).

help! Thanks.

-jon

The Carvin looks good, I used to own the Peavey 16FX, I sold it because it was complicated for my part time "engineer" and I have to confess it was complicated at first for me too, too many features, and so little time, :rolleyes::rolleyes: I ended up buying a Yamaha MG166CX.

• Members

I'll plus 1 the Carvin over the Peavey. It's a pretty solid unit. I know guys who use them 12+ times a months in clubs and they have held up.

That being said, you could pick up a new MixWiz for around $900 if you look around. Used would be even cheaper. In my opinion, it's a much, much better board with better features. It's very robust and I have used one for a long time through a lot of gigging use and it's never failed me.

• Members

So the primary argument so far this thread is that the peavey has too many features? Right, I'd take a peavey mixer over a carvin mixer any day of the week.

*EDIT*

If you need 16 real inputs that Peavey's not going to cut it. Either get the 24 or a really consider a mix-wiz. Some of the primary cool features of the peavey is the built in sound-card functionality and the digital effects as well as basic drive-rack like functionality. You should really consider these too in your decision. I guess i'm just kind of confused since you seem to be comparing mixers with different number of mic-pre's and different basic functionality (rack-mount vs not etc).

• Members

hey fellas:

thanks for the input. Yeah, a mixwiz would probably be best, but I can't find any that won't bust the buget.

Gregidon:

I think I could make the Peavey work, I'm just trying to figure out if the stereo channels can be sent to the aux mixes. If they can't... well, that's a deal breaker. If they can, then, shoot... we may be in business as I'd like to run backing tracks through those inputs.

I don't "need" all 16 inputs, but having them would be a definite bonus. right now, I'm sitting at a track count of 12-13 depending on a few factors. I like that the carvin has 16 real inputs as that seems to give me a lot more flexibility (i can add a musician or two if we have a guest with us), but I like the fact that the 16fx can be racked. shoot... .i seem to be right back where I started.

• Members

I had this same issue when I scaled down my rig. I still use and love a Carvin SL24, but that's a big mixer in its own flight case. It stays in my trailer, just in case though.

I looked at the same two mixers you looked at plus a lot of others. For me, the Carvin sounded better musically than the Peavey. Sure, the extra "features" of a mixer are nice, but what you should really look at is first, is it a solid mixer. You can/will add effects, EQ's, compressors, and all that other outboard gear. Having it built in is nice, but not the most important thing. Second, does it have enough channels for now, and in the future. 16 was enough for me because I still have the 24 and 16 for a portable rig is ideal for me. I've only run out of channels once and it was only by one so I just unplugged the I-Pod I use for canned music when the band was playing.

I'm a firm believer in "buy once, cry once". I've cried too many times when I bought something that didnt really fit my need just because I wanted it "now". It's better to save a little longer and get what will work for you in the future than to buy something that does not do exactly what you need it to do.

If the Peavy works for you, I say get it. If rack mounting is really important to you, than the Peavy will fit the bill. The Carvin is a solid little mixer. They get a bad rap but I've used that same mixer at clubs before, and I liked it. If it was rack mountable, I would probably have one now. The MixWiz fit everything I needed in a mixer (16 true channels, rack-mountable, rear facing inputs, good sounding built in effect, 4 true monitor sends with the ability to run 6 with internal jumpers, 4 band EQ's with sweepable mids, and an easy layout). For me, it's the perfect small format mixer for only a few hundred more than the competition. That's why I went with it.

Another one to look at is the A&H Zed line. I hear they are really good as well.

• Members

hey fellas:

I think I could make the Peavey work, I'm just trying to figure out if the stereo channels can be sent to the aux mixes.

I'm not sure what you mean here???

You can only use the digital output section on the L/R main outputs (or patch to a channel or buss).

• Members

thanks for the input fellas. One more question about the Peavey (I'm still searching out othe options too!).

To my reasoning it looks like this board can't run all 16 channels at the same time. it looks like on the last two channels, you have to chose whether to use the xlr inputs or the stereo pair. since there are only 12 mic inputs, wouldn't this effectively keep it from running 16 channels at once? Or am I misunderstanding how it is all put together?

Anyone have a mix wiz they want to get rid of?!!

• Members

Anyone have a mix wiz they want to get rid of?!!

Too bad your not local. I know a guy who is selling his MixWiz, 16 space rack and 16 ch snake for $900.

Funny to add: He is selling it to buy the Carvin 16 ch. powered board.

• Members

Aww bummer! that is a great price. Too bad it's so far away, shipping would destroy me! but if he just wants to sell the board and is willing to ship, pass my name on! (drop me a PM if you want contact info).

That Carvin looks great, but man I wish it was rackable...

• Members

He wants to get rid of everything at one time. With the powered board, he will be running side stage now, so no need for a snake and since the Carvin is not rackable, no need for a rack.

Rack mountability was close to #1 in my needs list. I wanted everything FOH in one rack that I could wheel in, connect my snakes send and returns and be done with it. With my current rig, I can load in, set up FOH, mic up the stage and set up 5 monitors in about an hour.

Archived