Monitor problem

• Members

I run sound for a local cover band. Usually gig 3-4 times a month. Sat night i set the monitor mix and everything was good. Then the level dropped. Couldnt get much sound into them at all. We run an old QSC for the monitors. Not sure the wattage as its not my equipment. I changed cables on the first break from the board to the amp and still the same. The amp did clip all night. It had never done that before. Even adjustments did nothing. I havent changed anything and its the same stuff they used before me when the old frontman did the sound. Ive been running the rig for about 6mo. Im curious if the amp would be the problem? There is sound comin through just not much? Im at a loss

• Members

I run sound for a local cover band. Usually gig 3-4 times a month. Sat night i set the monitor mix and everything was good. Then the level dropped. Couldnt get much sound into them at all. We run an old QSC for the monitors. Not sure the wattage as its not my equipment. I changed cables on the first break from the board to the amp and still the same. The amp did clip all night. It had never done that before. Even adjustments did nothing. I havent changed anything and its the same stuff they used before me when the old frontman did the sound. Ive been running the rig for about 6mo. Im curious if the amp would be the problem? There is sound comin through just not much? Im at a loss

Could be a short in one of your monitors. If you have a multimeter check the impedence of each of your monitors. Could also be an amp problem as Craig said. Which amp do you use?

• Members

Adjusting mix level which was up barely a 1/4 anyway. The only thing running through the monitors was vocals. I could turn the vocals down and it still clipped.

I do not think a short in the monitors would be the problem for the fact it was the same on both mixes.

• Members

True, a 'partial' short in either a cable, or speaker, could cause the amp to clip and output to be low. Something like a single wire strand making shorting contact could do this.

Ok then ill look at the cables I used for the monitors. If one of those were bad would it cause both channels to lose output?

• Members

ok i will. I gotta dig it out of the trailer. I didnt have a pen the other night and i forgot what model it is. ive got some other questions about the stuff im using that ill ask a lil later when i compile the list of what i have

Archived