JBL SRX728S vs. EAW LA128 vs. Peavey QW218

• Members

Our PA is in need of a major overhaul. From the research I've does, the SRX728S, LA128, and QW218 are similar spec wise. I need something that can get somewhat loud, but still go deep. Which one of these is the best in terms of output, sound quality, and deep bass?

• Members

I'm not familiar with the EAW, but the SRX goes a lot deeper than the QW218. The QW218's got a bit more power and punch but the SRX has the edge in sound quality. The QW is kind of "boxy" sounding while the SRX is very smooth.

• Members

I'm not familiar with the EAW, but the SRX goes a lot deeper than the QW218. The QW218's got a bit more power and punch but the SRX has the edge in sound quality. The QW is kind of "boxy" sounding while the SRX is very smooth.

That narrowed it down to the SRX and EAW. :thu:

• Members

Hold on a minute, make a way to hear the Peavey VR218. This sub eats up the QW218. It has casters and it goes LOOOOOOOW. Make, find, create a way to hear these subs...

The SRX and EAW go lower than the VR218, while still being 30-40lbs lighter.

• Members

What application are these subs for? How many are you looking to get?

Winston

We are just getting one for now, maybe another later on. We are a Christian Worship/CCM band, so we run close to 40 channels, 6+ vocals, fully mic'd drum kit, bass guitar, and so on. We play in venues of up to 1,500 seats.

• Members

The SRX and EAW go lower than the VR218, while still being 30-40lbs lighter.

The VR absolutely crushes them in pure output, however. Those things POUND.

Are you really going to be using any below 40Hz? I never take off my 40Hz HP filters.

• Members

SRX would be the best choice out of the three or four mentioned but I do recommend two for 1,500 seats. I've used everything mentioned hear except the Danely. Performance, clarity, extension, power handling and most importantly weight, the SRX is better.

In fact, I think I'm using a few of them Saturday night at an Equestrian event in the Hamptons with Madonna, hmmm .... not sure didn't look at the job sheet today. Ha!

• Members

SRX would be the best choice out of the three or four mentioned but I do recommend two for 1,500 seats. I've used everything mentioned hear except the Danely. Performance, clarity, extension, power handling and most importantly weight, the SRX is better.

In fact, I think I'm using a few of them Saturday night at an Equestrian event in the Hamptons with Madonna, hmmm .... not sure didn't look at the job sheet today. Ha!

I do know that 2 are needed for 1500 seats, I'll be renting a second until the budget allows me to buy it.

The reason I'm really not too crazy about the VR is because it's huge and heavy, and though I like big subs, we have the problem of stairs sometimes, and it's just me and 2 other people setting everything up.

• Members

The VR absolutely crushes them in pure output, however. Those things POUND.

Are you really going to be using any below 40Hz? I never take off my 40Hz HP filters.

We go as low as 30-35Hz. I don't quite get why the VR218 is so much deeper and louder when the specs show a difference of 1Hz (VR218: 38Hz-1.5kHz, QW218: 37Hz-125Hz).

Also my budget is about $1500 tops (just barely enough for the SRX)

So the remaining choices would be: the VR218, SRX728S, and the EAW.

• Members

Thought about another sub. While its above your budget the new EV Phoenix sub just sounds amazing!

1500 seat venue is pretty big, you may want to talk to someone about horn loaded subs. Just a thought.

Hopefully others with larger venue experiance will jump in. I myself use 2 SRX718's. I like the way they sound, very tight and musical. I dont use any extra processing either but Im only using them in churches and outdoor outreaches with about 250 or less people, so much smaller than your venue.

• Members

My vote would be for the Yorkville LS1208. You'll use less amp power and possibly be able to get two for your budget if you know where to look.

Size is quite great but the are surprisingly moveable.

You could also go with two Yorkville UCs1's and come out far ahead in terms of output compared to one dual 18.

• Members

We are just getting one for now, maybe another later on. We are a Christian Worship/CCM band, so we run close to 40 channels, 6+ vocals, fully mic'd drum kit, bass guitar, and so on. We play in venues of up to 1,500 seats.

1 or even 2 boxes wont be NEAR enough to adequately cover 1500 seats. Not even close. I run a pair of MRX528s for 100 person gigs and they get pushed. IMO, for 1500 people , I would run 4 to 5 boxes per side.

• Members

1 or even 2 boxes wont be NEAR enough to adequately cover 1500 seats. Not even close. I run a pair of MRX528s for 100 person gigs and they get pushed. IMO, for 1500 people , I would run 4 to 5 boxes per side.

I must of missed something in the specs, but the 1200 seat venue we played at only had 1. I'll try renting 3 boxes per side of each listed (maybe not that many for the VR since it's a lot louder and way more powerful than the others) and see if they are pushed, perfect, or not used enough. It'll also give me a chance to hear each one with my band. Thanks for your help!

Archived