Strain relief on patchbays...

• Members

Hi all.

I've spent a good day soldering up XLR sockets to TRS jacks to go in the back of my eq / effects rack. My problem is now that I want to make sure that the weight of the cables isn't going to eventually break the solder connections. I'm thinking of some sort of rail just behind the rack to tie the cables on to so that they don't move easily. Has anyone got any better ideas?

• Members

Hi all.

I've spent a good day soldering up XLR sockets to TRS jacks to go in the back of my eq / effects rack. My problem is now that I want to make sure that the weight of the cables isn't going to eventually break the solder connections. I'm thinking of some sort of rail just behind the rack to tie the cables on to so that they don't move easily. Has anyone got any better ideas?

I use lengths of perforated steel angle (similar to the uprights used in steel shelving units) that I've bolted to the inside walls of my racks. I usually wrap the exposed metal edges with a length of duct tape (to reduce the risk that a burr will damage cable insulation. With the lengthes of steel angle in place - I simply use plastic zip ties to securely fasten cables. It's cheap (a metal angle stuff is less than a $1.00 a foot plus the cost of some 1/4" nuts and bolts...) and works pretty well.

• Members

I use lengths of perforated steel angle (similar to the uprights used in steel shelving units) that I've bolted to the inside walls of my racks. I usually wrap the exposed metal edges with a length of duct tape (to reduce the risk that a burr will damage cable insulation. With the lengthes of steel angle in place - I simply use plastic zip ties to securely fasten cables. It's cheap (a metal angle stuff is less than a $1.00 a foot plus the cost of some 1/4" nuts and bolts...) and works pretty well.

I was intending to use zip ties, I've still got some piecs of steel angle from when I made my rack sleeves - shouldn't be difficult.

• Members

I just tiewrap the cables to themselves to share the stress. No problems so far. I've seen a few prepunched panel makers that have a screw on lacer bar attachment.

Boomerweps

I have the cables taped to each other temporarily and you are right in that it does make a difference for the moment.

Archived