Allen & Heath ZED-14 vs Mackie CFX12 mkII

• Members

Allen & Heath ZED-14 vs Mackie CFX12 mkII

Anybody have experience with these two mixers? I'm tying to put together a "powered speaker" system for DJ Wedding Karaoke work. I'm thinking of the Yorkville powered tops and subs. Anyway, is one of these better sounding than the other?

• Members

I really dislike the cheap Mackies. The CFX has (in my opinion) bad or weird routing with the signals. I have a small DFX that just is not very reliable. It was mainly just used as a practice mixer and its not that old. Well the "L" side main out is out, along with channel 2. My Mixwiz runs like a champ, has been used for 2-3 years now. I wouldnt mind trying a Zed next as a practice mixer.

• Members

I've got a CFX12. (I'm assuming it's not a Mk II.) Had it about 7 years? (surely more than 5.) I really like the board, but I'm disappointed that Aux 2 has failed. I'll tell you that I'm thinking about getting a Mix Wiz next time.

• Members

We had to play through a CFX once. The EQ knobs on the channel strip just didn't seem to do much unless they were set to extremes. Our mixer is an A&H Mixwiz, which has a much better strip EQ. I would think the Zed would have similar EQ characteristics, but I don't reallly know for sure. I can't imagine it being worse than the CFX though.

• Members

The CFX12 has been around for years and the ZED series only a short time. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum have experience with a CFX series mixer (for better or worse) and very few with a ZED. The CFX does not have the greatest reputation but the ZED really has no reputation. It is still a bit too new.

Allen & Heath in general has a better reputation for sound and reliability than Mackie does, at least on this forum.

I have sold a lot of MixWiz consoles to former Mackie owners. No one has ever said to me that they liked thier Mackie better.

whether or not this will be true of the ZED I could not say yet.

I would like to hear from anyone that has been using a ZED.

Archived