2 ohm question

• Members

I have a Berhinger EP2500 power amp and I'm needing to run four 8 ohm speakers of of one side which would make the amp run in 2 ohms(1200 watts). I've heard negative things about 2 ohms. Berhinger says its ok, but is it?

Also, I've heard the term "unbalanced" used before. Is running a power amp unbalanced when you would be running three 8 ohm speakers on one channel instead of two or four? Or is it when you're running 2 ohms out of one channel and 4 ohms out of the other? Is either ok?

• Members

No, that's not what balanced means - HERE'S an explanation.

As for the amp. It's not that it won't do 2 ohms, it's just that it demands a lot out of the amp, and in this case a low cost "entry level" amp. Put those 2 things together and you may be tempting fate. May work out for you, it may not. My guess it you'll be driving the snot out of the amp to get the output you need out of 4 speakers. That's one more thing that will lower the chances of success.

• Members

Also, I've heard the term "unbalanced" used before. Is running a power amp unbalanced when you would be running three 8 ohm speakers on one channel instead of two or four? Or is it when you're running 2 ohms out of one channel and 4 ohms out of the other? Is either ok?

Either condition is fine. As long as you don't go below the lowest impedance load that the amp is designed to operate at, you'll be fine.

• Members

IF any condition i going to cause problems it is 2 ohm operation.

Keep in mind that there is a differance between the AVERAGE impeadance and the LOWEST impeadance.

Short answer, Yes the 4 on one side is supost to be okay. BUT if you have a problem - this is where/when you will have it.

• Members

I have had a catastrophic amp failure on stage before. Not fun and a warranty (which I didn't have anyway) doesn't help you much. Since then I have always had at least one more amp than I need - being used but still surplus to absolute requirement.

Archived