testing and buying used PA equipment

• Members

I had a guy call me and tell me he had some PA equipment for sale, and wanted to know if I was interested. It was stored in a climate control storage building. Here is a quick list of what was in there.

2 Yamaha P7000S Power Amps---seemed to work fine

1 Behringer 1500 Power Amp-----seemed to work fine

1 Behringer 2500 Power Amp-----seemed to work fine

2 Yamaha C215V Mains----------seemed to work fine

1 Yamaha CM112V----------seemed to work fine

2 Yamaha SW218V Subs---------seemed to work fine

2 Yamaha SW118V Subs-----no sound out of one, scratchy sound out of other

1 Peavey SP 5--------sounded terrible, maybe busted speaker?

2 Peavey SP 3--------Seemed to work fine

2 Peavey SP 4--------Seemed to work fine

2 Behringer B1520 Pro Mains----Seemed to work fine

2 Carvin 832 Mains------one horn might be out

1 Yamaha MG/3214FX Mixer----the insert out worked mains, couldn't get sub output to work. Not exactly sure I was doing it right though.

1 Mackie powered SM450 main----horn is out

2 JBL Eon Powered 15" mains------one speaker is out

First, can the powered Mackie and JBL be repaired by me cheaply? Second, is there a way to see if the power amps are working efficiently along with the dual speakers? Third, what could be wrong with the Yamaha CW118V subs, and are they worth anything (should they be bought cheaply, and fixed)?

This equipment was used for house sound in several clubs for an extended period of time. As I stated in the description, several items seemed to work fine, but still showed signs of significant use. What are they worth?

• Members

I've got maybe 10 or so spare drivers for the Yamaha subs. 4 used and 6 new out in the warehouse. They are ok subs, not killer but not bad either. Cost of repair isn't that much.

As far as the powered speakers, hard to tell what exactly is wrong. Best having a service center repair. The Eon's use an integrated speaker/basket/frame that is not easy to work with. IIRC, both are biamped, so the horn could be a bad HF amp as well.

Looks like there are a couple of speaker systems (maybe an A and B rig?) there. I don't see any crossovers, eq's etc. Maybe there is more gear hiding?

• Members

I've got maybe 10 or so spare drivers for the Yamaha subs. 4 used and 6 new out in the warehouse. They are ok subs, not killer but not bad either. Cost of repair isn't that much.

As far as the powered speakers, hard to tell what exactly is wrong. Best having a service center repair. The Eon's use an integrated speaker/basket/frame that is not easy to work with. IIRC, both are biamped, so the horn could be a bad HF amp as well.

Looks like there are a couple of speaker systems (maybe an A and B rig?) there. I don't see any crossovers, eq's etc. Maybe there is more gear hiding?

there are 3 eq's, didn't see a crossover. if the yamaha 118 were $25 or less, would you get them to repair? Should I stay away from the messed up powered speakers?

• Members

I wouldn't get the Yamaha subs, as they aren't great even in new condition. If you are planning on adding subs, I wouldn't get the dual 15's, I would go with 12's.

Sorry, I deleted that by mistake. Missread the post, I thought it said C112V, I didn't notice the "M", sorry. :idk:

• Members

Sorry, I deleted that by mistake. Missread the post, I thought it said C112V, I didn't notice the "M", sorry.
:idk:

I here a lot of people talking about usinf 12's mains with 18" subs. I've been using single 15" yamaha mains with 18" subs for 2 years now. Seems like a lot of professionals on here use 12". Are they better?

• Members

I here a lot of people talking about usinf 12's mains with 18" subs. I've been using single 15" yamaha mains with 18" subs for 2 years now. Seems like a lot of professionals on here use 12". Are they better?

What applications are dual 15's good for?

• Members

12's can be better assuming they are quality speakers. The advantage is smaller size, lower weight, and in many (though not all) cases more natural midrange sound.

Dual 15's are great IF they are pro speakers like the JBL SRX series. Dual 15's are more common in the lower end of the market where big looks = big sound. Because of the low cost nature of the "big looks = big sound and "lookin' good" market, poor quality components and design often come into play at the expense of solid engineering principles.

• Members

12's can be better assuming they are quality speakers. The advantage is smaller size, lower weight, and in many (though not all) cases more natural midrange sound.

Dual 15's are great IF they are pro speakers like the JBL SRX series. Dual 15's are more common in the lower end of the market where big looks = big sound. Because of the low cost nature of the "big looks = big sound and "lookin' good" market, poor quality components and design often come into play at the expense of solid engineering principles.

I figured the dual Yamaha Clubs and Peavey SP 4's were pretty close to pro. They out perform JBL's JRX, and blow away Peavey's PV series, and the Behringer duals. Would you give $300 for two dual clubs, and $350 for two SP 4s?

• Members

I figured the dual Yamaha Clubs and Peavey SP 4's were pretty close to pro. They out perform JBL's JRX, and blow away Peavey's PV series, and the Behringer duals. Would you give $300 for two dual clubs, and $350 for two SP 4s?

I own 2 Yamaha club S215's (rat fur version, same design otherwise though). The SRX dual 15 is worlds ahead of these. But if the speakers are in good condition, then $300 is a good deal.

• Members

Naah, that's all low to low mid level stuff. No comparison the the SRX.

Ifthe speakers work and do what you need, the price is certainly fair.

• Members

Naah, that's all low to low mid level stuff. No comparison the the SRX.

Ifthe speakers work and do what you need, the price is certainly fair.

if the yamaha 118 were $25 or less, would you get them to repair? There was also JBL sr4702x. The speaker was busted. Is that an old SRX monitor?

Archived