New Shure Beta 87A Mic? Help, Any good? Bout to buy!

• Members

Got SCAMMED See posts below

Guys found a NEW Shure 87A New in Box locally. Wants $149 and I offered $125. is this a good deal? Saw a picture but will meet in person and it looks new and has all the packing material.

I want this for Live VOCALS and also if it is good to record with? Basically to sing out of my PA (Peavey PV 14 Mixer and Mackie SRM 450 V2 Speakers)

I was going to get a Shure 58 , but for the additional cost I heard these are better?????

Help

Gary

• Members

Guys found a NEW Shure 87A New in Box locally. Wants $149 and I offered $125. is this a good deal?

MSRP for that mic is approx. $375. Yes, $149 for one new in the box is a great deal, assuming of-course it's a genuine Shure SM 87A and assuming it's the right mic for the application. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft. pole unless buying it from a registered Shure dealer and I doubt any franchise Shure dealer would sell a new in the box genuine Shure 87A for $149.

• Members

It's a more detailed, bright, condenser mic that is generally considered to be a very good live vocal mic. I personally don't like them on loud stage volume stages as they pick up a lot of bleed and do not exhibit the best gain before feedback. $125 is a very good deal for a new mic, but be careful of Chinese counterfeit mics especially in the Shure product line.

• Members

WM

Thanks!

Yes it is a REAL Shure in the box saw a Picture and it is LOCAL from a guy selling on the net and he lives near me so I can see is on person first! I already saw the picture and it is the real McCoy He has 2 of them so I iwll see if I can get it cheaper, but new they are $249 at musicials Friend

Thanks

Gary

• Members

FWIW The counterfits look EXACTLY like the real McCoys (even down to the packaging and warranty cards). I'd be very leery of buying from anyone other than a proven Shure dealer. Ask him if you can take it to another Shure dealer to verify it's authenticity and see what he says. Another way would be to see if you can somehow A/B it with another known one from another source. I can't imagine why anyone would sell this mic this cheap unless there's a problem. I'd also feel bad about you missing out on a great deal so It's probably worth following up on but...... don't let the thrill of getting a great deal cloud your judgment (If it's not real (highly suspect in my book) then, it's not a great deal).

• Members

Now you guys got me scared! :facepalm::eek:

Well I got it and paid $140. He has a connection or soemthing. He had another and they are brand new in the box with warranty cards etc etc

He said he also had a few 57's. They coudl be fake, but I doubt it and the guy I met was from a nice area and I have his phone number and e-mail and he was eating lunch with his wife and kids so I bet is OK, I hope!

I think I got the Real Mccoy! Heck $140 was only $100 less than my Peavey PV 14 USB Mixer I just sent a check in the mail for $245 (That was a great deal too:thu:) so it better be good.

The Serieal # on the Box is 42406 05474 It does hve Chinese writing on the mic, but that doesn't mean iot isn't real, does it? The warranty card is in there in English and Chinese and the warranty crad is from Niles, Illinois.

It also came with a Shure Mic cable (cheap but was in there) and the mic was in a leather bag that said Shure Beta and was in bubble wrap.

I HOPE it is REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Members

Me again. Hey MINE also came with a mic cable that had a 1/4" on the end. Does this mean it is fake???

I found this online:

"Warning - there are some good copies of the Shure Beta 87A mics being sold on eBay. I bought two new ones for an "unbelievable" price. When I received them, the boxes and enclosed paperwork all looked genuine. My first clue was that the supplied cord had the appropriate female XLR connector on one end, but terminated in a standard 1/4 inch phone plug on the other. No way was this baby going to be able to get the required phantom power. When I hooked it up to my PA with a proper XLR mic cord, I got a thin, tinny sound, and it made no difference what so ever whether or not the phantom power was turned on or not. Anyone with pro audio or live sound experience knows that you won't get much if anything without phantom. Fortunately, the seller said he would take them back (and is now no longer an authorized eBay member), but buyer beware. This is one case where buying from a dealer, even if the mic is used, is better."

Oh Oh???

Tex:facepalm:

• Members

OK Guys Help. I pluged the 1/4" Male into my guitar amp and the female XLR end into the Mic and the microphone worked! If it needs phantom power to work that wouldn't be the case right???

Let me know!

"I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone"....................................And I don't like what I'm seeing...

Thanks

Gary

• Members

OK Guys Help. I pluged the 1/4" Male into n amp and the frmale in the Mic and it worked! If it needs phantom power that wouldn't be the case right???

Let me know

Thanks

Gary

Tell me it's April 1st. and yer just jerking our chain, right?

Assuming your posts are actually serious, then seriously: A Shure SM-87A is a condenser mic that requires phantom power to function. If you have a functional SM-87A with no phantom power, then you do not have a Shure SM-87A... you just have a mic... an approx. $5 mic.

If you determine you did get burned, then I suggest not contacting the seller until after you've contacted Shure about how to deal with this:

800-25-SHURE

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/ContactUs/index.htm

• Members

:thu:The good lord was looking out for me. :thu: I got Lucky!!!!!! OK I am the guy that bought the Mic.... I know,,,, I know sucker!!!!!!!!!:cop:

Man it looked perfect, the box, the bag, the warranty card, even the instructions said it needed a 48V Phantom Power.

Called the guy and he was surprises, but probably pulling my chain (but maybe Not!??) I am NOT Gullible and am pretty quick and I did figure this out thanks to this forum and the Investigation I did which said the 1/4" Jack Thing which gave it away and I also called Guitar Center and confirmed!

He said he got them from his friend and maybe he did and his friend was the one tricking him, but either way I called him and was about to take his head off, but he had my CASH, so I was cool and just acted liek he didn't know. To my surprise, he said he would Pay Pal me the cash back right away so I wasn't worried. and HE ACTUALLY PayPaled me back $140 (I originally gave him cash today) Here is what he e-mailed me:

"There you go. I sent your funds back. Im really sorry. I just got these from a friend and had no idea. I'm not trying to rip anyone off. If I was I would not try to make things right. So sorry again."

Man I dodged a bullet. I could keep his Mic, but he really might not have known and I DID get my cash back and so I am just going to chalk it up to lessons learned. He even said hey it came with a cheap mic cable but it came with a cable. If he KNEW that this was a fake he probably wouldn't advertise that there is a mic cable with a 14" jack on the end. I mean he obviously didn't know or is a total Dip%^&* (I didn't either about the 1/4" jack thing), so in this case I will give him the benefit because he did make it right and all I had was a yahoo e-mail and cell phone so he easily could have

stole my cash!:cop::rolleyes:

Oh well Thanks Guys and hope my Peavey PV14 is REAL,,,LOL I think it is as there are not too many of those going round. You should see this Mic. It Looks Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a Picture. The Box Looked Great as well and had a seriell Number and all, but did have some Chinese Writing!!!

Hope this helps others out! I was LUCKY, bu tthe next guy probably won't be!

Tex

(To my slight defense I did hear one post that said watchout it could be a fake, but no one knew for sure and all the packaging and logos were PERFECT. I did some investigation after the fact of course, that Made me KNOW it was fake. If someone said that thing about the cord I am sure I would have figured it out, but most scammers wouldn't put a cord like that in there unless they were stupid)

The BIG GIVE AWAY was the 1/4" Mic Cord and also that I plugged into my guitar amp with that 1/4" Cord and no Phantom Power and it worked!!!

• Members

Wait until you actually have the money from PayPal - it's still possible for him to lodge a complaint or something, maybe.

Just so everybody knows - Shure DOES NOT PUT SERIAL NUMBERS ON WIRED MICROPHONES. Not even the big expensive ones. They only put serial numbers on wireless gear and electronics such as mixers.

• Members

I could keep his Mic,

No! No, no, NO!

Please take my advice: Go see a lawyer about what to do at this point. I suspect you definately do not want to be caught with that mic in your possession. You are holding counterfiet goods which are both trademark and I believe patent protected. The Federal Government inforces counterfiet laws. I strongly suggest you will probably want to surrender the mic to the proper authorities and disclose your supplier before you get in deeper.

Monday morning: Go see a lawyer!

• Members

The serial # was on the BOX, but NOW THAT I AM LOOKING it is a UPC Code and I would never Keep the Mic!

I feel bad for ME not HIM, but either he was scared s#$@#$^%$$! or he actually was unaware of the mic being a Fake. Either Way I got my Cash Back!

He might have also been swindled by whoever sold it to him so I want him to have a chance to get his money back as well. I mean again, he might be a scammer, but I have to give him the benefit of the doubt since he made it right and specifically TOLD ME about the Mic Cable that was included so I think he was clueless.

It pisses me off that people try to rip us hard working people out of our money and give Shure a Bad Name, but this is a Crazy World we live in.

Thanks and I already posted a link to this in the Mic section so others won't get scammed!:cop:

• Members

MSRP for that mic is approx. $375. Yes, $149 for one new in the box is a great deal, assuming of-course it's a genuine Shure SM 87A and assuming it's the right mic for the application. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft. pole unless buying it from a registered Shure dealer and I doubt any franchise Shure dealer would sell a new in the box genuine Shure 87A for $149.

And you're feigning pain? :confused:

How much clearer could I have been about this without getting downright nasty?

"a great deal, assuming of-course it's a genuine Shure SM 87A"

clip

"Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft. pole unless buying it from a registered Shure dealer and I doubt any franchise Shure dealer would sell a new in the box genuine Shure 87A for $149."

• Members

WM.

No I am sorry I want to THANK YOU and already sent you a PM doing so!!!!

Nothing but praise to you!!! I just meant that I didn't knwo what to look for and if it was just inspecting it, it looked perfect in every area but I didn't take it apart and look at wires etc etc

I just meant after I read that someother guy got 2 of these off EBay and it was "the CORD" that gave it away, then I used that to solidify my suspicions and YOUR suspicions and your warnings and then I knew for sure.

I would say to anyone that if it comes with a cord with a 1/4" that is an easy way to determine but the best way is to TEST IT OUT and since it requires phantom power to run correctly that will pretty much tell if it isn't a real one.

Now I am NO EXPERT so I am not sure what woul dhave happened if there was no cord and I plugged it in WITH Phantom Power? The other guy said it sounded Thin and you knew right away it wasn't a 48V Phantom Power Microphone, but a FAKE!

Thansk Again and I DO Appreciate it!:thu:

• Members

WM.

No I am sorry I want to THANK YOU and already sent you a PM doing so!!!!

Nothing but praise to you!!! I just meant that I didn't knwo what to look for and if it was just inspecting it, it looked perfect in every area but I didn't take it apart and look at wires etc etc

I just meant after I read that someother guy got 2 of these off EBay and it was "the CORD" that gave it away, then I used that to solidify my suspicions and YOUR suspicions and your warnings and then I knew for sure.

I would say to anyone that if it comes with a cord with a 1/4" that is an easy way to determine but the best way is to TEST IT OUT and since it requires phantom power to run correctly that will pretty much tell if it isn't a real one.

Now I am NO EXPERT so I am not sure what woul dhave happened if there was no cord and I plugged it in WITH Phantom Power? The other guy said it sounded Thin and you knew right away it wasn't a 48V Phantom Power Microphone, but a FAKE!

Thansk Again and I DO Appreciate it!
:thu:

Ok... glad you took that well.

Remember, if it walks like a duck, and looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck. And deals that seem too good to be true, are probably too good to be true. The one exception I can personally attest to that does not follow that rule is my wife, Liz. Sometimes a poor boy gets lucky.

• Members

I was fortunate enough to get a great deal of $180 from an authorized Shure dealer for a demo 87A. I know for a fact that it's the real deal, particulary because of the dealer, but also because I will occasionally hook it up at a show, get no sound, and then remember to tell the sound engineer that it needs phantom power. Click - oh, there we go!

I've been burned by deals where it was indeed too good to be true, so I feel your pain. Don't be too quick to jump the gun and I hope that you get your money back so you can make a more-experienced decision next time!

John

• Members

Yeah I never got burned in the MAIL! This was IN PERSOn so I thought OK I get to see the guy and the product. my mistake was NOT KNOWING the product well enough to knwo what to look for. I opened it up and everything and it looked GREAT!

I also didn't realize there have been a BUNCH of Shure Mic Scams including 57's and 58's.

Now I knwo why he got these so cheap they were worth $10 and he probably bought them for $50. He might have got scammed as well OR He is just a BS'er and got busted and played dumb. he did say If I was a scammer I wouldn't have given your money back and to be honest I had no way of knwoing who he was or anything, just had a Yahoo address and a cell. I didn't even see hsi car because I met him outside a deli and he was already there.

All's Well that Ends Well. My wife said Screw Meeting him to give the Mic back where I picked it up, 35-30 minutes from my house. She said have Him come Drive out our way and I will!:p:poke::cop::facepalm:

• Members

Lesson learned: When the live sound boards at HC tell you something you should probably listen!

Glad it worked out in the end though, there's a lot of counterfeits going around and quite honestly, it's really easy to get burned. Keep a sharp eye out, sometimes you get burned and sometimes you make out like a bandit.

• Members

It is curious that the counterfeiters will go to great lengths to make everything look genuine and then trip up by adding a serial # and a mic cord. The cord is especially odd as I don't think Shure mics come with any cord at all so why go to the expense of including one when the main goal is to profit as much as possible off the counterfeit merchandise?

Archived