What's this trumpet mute?

• Members

Hi All,

I want to get a mute and I'm liking this kind:

2008-02-06_IMG_2008-01-30_03.04.54__PG08

It's in fact when I heard the guy on the pic Jerry González on stage the other day I thought I fancied one of these.

How's that mute called?

The music I'll be playing with it is mainly jazz in a small format, say 4 people (bass, piano, drums, trumpet sort of thing) and basically I'm looking for a "blue" jazzy sound for my solos. What do you think, good choice? Any others I'd like to check better?

The most common mutes are explained here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/10693/mute.html

Straight, cup, harmon and plunger. Looking at the pictures, the only one that may be it is the harmon? But then the harmon seems to have a protruding centre hole while the one the Jerry uses has a very rounded shape there :confused:

Cheers for any comments or tips and all the best for the New Year :)

• Members

Greetings.

What you see in that pic is a Harmon (brand name) mute aka wah-wah mute with the center piece removed. It just pulls out completely or can be adjusted in extension for variation in tone produced, however slight. The wah-wah sound comes from the left hand alternately covering or exposing the hole in the end of the mute.

A well-equipped trumpeter should have a variety of mutes for what the music or mood may call for, or for individual expression.

Happy Tooting! :)

• Members

Keep in mind there are many different varieties of "Harmon" mute. Harmon is a brand name, the original all aluminum design for that style of mute. I like my Charles Davis all copper version but I also have a couple of vintage aluminum Harmons for the classic Miles ballad sound. Many players love the Jo-Ral "bubble" (their name for a Harmon-style mute) in aluminum or copper. Copper is much heavier and darker than aluminum. The weight and the sound takes some adjustment. Try as many as you can before buying.

Archived