Good earbuds for IN-EAR monitors?

• Members

$100 won't get you a really good set of ear buds. I think that will pretty much get you into the base starter models, but that's it. I would go the other route and get a nice set of universal fit buds to start, then get the impressions and molds made to fit whatever buds you end up getting. There are many good brands. Shure, Sensaphonics, Ulimate Ear, and I just tried out the new Sennheiser buds and they sounded great. Do some research and try some different stuff out, if you can. And yeah, what is your application?

• Members

i am the vocalist for a heavy rock band. i want to save my throat and my ears for gigging. i want to do things right the first time and invest in a setup that will be good quality but also cost-effective...I would like to keep the entire in-ear wireless system under 600$.

i was thinking of purchasing the 400$ galaxy in-ear wireless system, and depending on whether the buds in that kit are any good or not, get my custom in ear molds made with those buds. which i assume would add on an extra 100-150$ for the molds...? if the galaxy buds aren't very good, then i think i want to go a different route than the galaxy kit.

thanks for the responses.

• Members

I thought there was a company making molds that would fit the standard Shure stuff. I could be wrong. I think you get impressions made for free, through insurance or I know you can get them done at some trade shows (AES, NAMM). Then it costs about $250 or so to get the molds made. Then you have choices of drivers, bringing the cost of custom molded in-ears up to $600 or much more. I would invest in a good wireless system to begin with and it will come with decent buds. I've never used the Galaxy, and can't comment on it.

• Members

I just bought a pair of SCL3's for 150 bucks at GC, they have a ton of sleeves that could fit just fine. Sensaphonics makes custom sleeves for shure buds. I just got mine in a few days ago and they fit perfectly. I paid 50 bucks for a pair of impressions at an audiologist and 110 bucks after shipping to sensaphonics for the custom molds. I am very happy I did and it only took a few weeks.

• Members

sorry James...Im glad you got it done, Im sorry I wasnt better at communicating with you. Busy season never really stopped for me.

I glad you are pleased with the molds though, thats the only thing that matters.

Custom molds should NOT cost you $250. As CaseyJF stated his cost was reasonable. I do them for $135, including impressions.

It is standard to be charged $50 for impressions and $100 plus shipping for the product.

Molds add bass response, increase comfort, and consistancy for insertion. they fit the same every time! Molds can be made for several brands, my personal favorite generic monitor is the Shure line.

• CMS Author

E2s (or whatever they are called now) are pretty decent from around $100 (you can find them cheaper).

Shure doesn't recommend getting molds made with the E-2's. I forget why, but I've also heard of them being used, so there's a bit of discrepancy there. I've got E-4's with out molds and want to get them made. They sound great now, and I know they'll be fantastic with molds.

• Members

The best price for custom molds is Live Wires (google it). They are $250 plus the cost of molds.

that seems to be more than double the cost that people have been quoting from the online/do-it-yourself kits?

• Members

nevermind ned911!! I just called Livewires and this is definitely a great buy. it's an all inclusive package (headphones, molds, wires, etc).

great customer service as well, the rep there was extremely helpful. it's 249.99+ the cost of the audiologist's impressions.

thanks for the recommendation!!!

• Members

Shure doesn't recommend getting molds made with the E-2's. I forget why, but I've also heard of them being used, so there's a bit of discrepancy there. I've got E-4's with out molds and want to get them made. They sound great now, and I know they'll be fantastic with molds.

I had custom molds for my E2s. They worked great but I've moved to E5s and they are incredible.

• Members

nevermind ned911!! I just called Livewires and this is definitely a great buy. it's an all inclusive package (headphones, molds, wires, etc).

great customer service as well, the rep there was extremely helpful. it's 249.99+ the cost of the audiologist's impressions.

thanks for the recommendation!!!

I have been a happy LiveWires customer for about a year now.

My goal is to hear everything that I need to hear, it sounds like a CD to me, and I play bass. I don't even use a bass rig on stage; I put enough through the monitors so the rest of the band can hear, and it's out front in my in-ears.

I don't know if they're 'audiophile' quality, but they sure meet my 'good-nuff' standards considering the cost.

My ONLY downside to them is that they put your first name and last initial embedded in the earpieces... and they got my last initial wrong. :facepalm: Oh well.

• Members

I will make molds for all the Shure line. My brain doesnt process spending the money ($135) for custom molds on the E2, because you can get the E2 for less than $100. But it can be done. Sensaphonics will not make a E2 mold, I have found a different lab that will make them.

My personal opinion about LiveWires is not good. But my opinion is soley based on my initial interaction with someone who approached me to add them to my line. I am an independent audiologist, I try and offer upper end products where the manufacturers have an awareness of hearing and how to use in ears safely. My conversation with a representative of LiveWires was not impressive. I asked about the crossover, he shrugged his shoulders and said "I dont know, 3?" If he meant 3K thats a very thin bass response. Then I asked what the output was, again I got the shrugged shoulders and " I dont know, I told them to give me the biggest baddest speakers they had!". Sorry I dont believe in just putting anything in your ears. I also dont understand the manufacturer who wants to put 4 speakers in each ear. Come on guys, we arent filling an arena with sound, your ear canal is 2.1 cc of space. How many speakers do we put in there to get the sound we want before we reach a sound pressure that does NOT promote hearing conservation.

Ultimately I just want my friends to wear in ears that sound good to them, but I need to encourage you to ALWAYS wear BOTH earphones, and monitor your volume levels.

• Members

My friend had some Shure E3's and they crapped out on him, and the warranty was out, so he went to Radio Shack and bought some Koss se3 or sp3 (something like that) for only $19.95 and he swears they sound just as good as the expensive E3's and better than the E2's. He has had the Koss brand cheap buds for over a year now and he likes them, but he did buy another set of E3's or E5's (I forgot). If you fry the cheap buds, very easy to replace. Just my 2 cents.......

• Members

My friend had some Shure E3's and they crapped out on him, and the warranty was out, so he went to Radio Shack and bought some Koss se3 or sp3 (something like that) for only $19.95 and he swears they sound just as good as the expensive E3's and better than the E2's. He has had the Koss brand cheap buds for over a year now and he likes them, but he did buy another set of E3's or E5's (I forgot). If you fry the cheap buds, very easy to replace. Just my 2 cents.......

No offense to your friend but he is what as known as an idiot. Do you really want us to believe that a pair of $20 buds are better then a pair of $150 buds? And yes, I've used both. The Koss's came with the Carvin in ears and they were absolute crap. No low end at all and the highs were harsh. The E3s were good but I moved up to E5s and they are great. The Koss's really are crap, but you do get what you paid for.

• Members

No offense to your friend but he is what as known as an idiot. Do you really want us to believe that a pair of $20 buds are better then a pair of $150 buds? And yes, I've used both. The Koss's came with the Carvin in ears and they were absolute crap. No low end at all and the highs were harsh. The E3s were good but I moved up to E5s and they are great. The Koss's really are crap, but you do get what you paid for.

I agree with JWLUSSOW. I have a koss set from a carvin and are KA KA.

I use ultimate ears and there is a big difference.

• Members

No, he's not an idiot he has E5's now, he just said that they sounded just as good as the E2's or better and close to sounding as good as E3's. He's a 38 yr old pro that has played with a ton of national acts and has played with a top regional act for the last 15 yrs or so, he has plenty of experience with all the pro audio stuff.

• Members

the basic over the counter ears may sound good, but what is the maximum output of those earbuds?

the basic over the counter buds probably do not seal with the ear as well as a professional stage monitor.

There is NO COMPARISON between a dynamic type speaker (any over the counter and E2) and a balanced armature type (E3 and higher model) speaker.

He must be blown away by the difference between the Koss (over the counter) vs. the E5. dual balanced armature speaker that seal with the ear. Glad he is using quality buds now.

• Members

No, he's not an idiot he has E5's now, he just said that they sounded just as good as the E2's or better and close to sounding as good as E3's. He's a 38 yr old pro that has played with a ton of national acts and has played with a top regional act for the last 15 yrs or so, he has plenty of experience with all the pro audio stuff.

I guess I was a little harsh. I apologize for that. The argument reminded me of the people here that believe the $1000 power cable makes their amp sound better then the cord that came with it. The Koss buds are really very bad. I have trouble believing that anyone actively involved in music would actually find those buds even barely acceptable.

I guess I'm really not the best judge of ear buds since I have been doing this for 31 years (27 with the current band) and I have severe tinnitus in my right ear. The E5s are awesome, though. Without my in ears I probably would have had to give up performing years ago.

Archived