Quit Shocking Me!!!!!

• Members

Yours boomerweps

When I read this reply in my email it confused me. Thought you left off the precursor "UP" ;>)

I'll check the brand name when I pull some stuff out of the trailer later today. Could not find one similar unit on eBay yeasterday. However, using several metal framed rack power strips screwed to metal rack rails SHOULD provide a similar shared common ground. I'd use basic rack mounted power strips vice "conditioners" to avoid the leakage of voltage to ground caused by the protective sacrificial MOVs.

Boomerweps

• Members

If your amps have solidly grounded chassis (with 3 wire receptacles of course), you can not get shocked.

Get your amps fixed.

Your talking a little bit above my level. My amps are new. One is a Peavey Delta Blues Amp. It his three prongs. The other is a new solid state vox amp and it has three prongs. Are you saying I still need to get them worked on? Like I said, it only happens in 3 of about 40 places.

• Members

In the three places that it happens I'd be willing to bet that they have a problem somewhere between their breaker box and where you are plugging in.

When you get to one of those places again, check the outlet with the tester mentioned on the first page of this post. If the outlet checks ok, you'll know you have good power at least to the outlet. I've seen places that provide "band power" that had a ground prong torn off or loose. Check any band power boxes that are provided too.

If the problem is in one of those two places you'll know it isn't either of those two amps, and then you can ask management to get it fixed.

• Members

Given the new amps w/ 3 wire power cord, more likely that it's a power problem... missing ground is my first guess and some other component is leaking to the floating ground which you are attached to and when you touch a real ground you get shocked.

The power should be corrected.

Archived