Bad room acoustics?

• Members

How you guys deal with a tin ceiling wood walls and concrete floors?

A stage and dance floor on one side of the club and the crowd on the other side of the bar that doesn't soak up any of the sound?

To much reflection and to much low end boom even with low volume on stage and FOH and wedges.

Advice always appreciated as usual.

• Members

4 or 5 shots of Jack Daniels should clean the sound right up. :eek:

I would think that 1x12 cabs and 15" subs would work better then 15s and 18s in a room like that. We used to put a 12" monitor (with the main mix) around the corner at one restaurant we played. It actually worked pretty well.

• Members

4 or 5 shots of Jack Daniels should clean the sound right up.
:eek:

I would think that 1x12 cabs and 15" subs would work better then 15s and 18s in a room like that. We used to put a 12" monitor (with the main mix) around the corner at one restaurant we played. It actually worked pretty well.

:lol: Yea Jack might do the trick.

• Members

You definately don't have much to work with...

You might be able to get rid of the boom by reducing the number or not using subs at all (depends on the size of the room).

I've also lowered the limiter threshold on my subs to "simulate" using a smaller amp.

Another idea would be to play a CD that you know very well, and EQ the room based on the sound of the CD.

• Members

Over the years I've come to the realization it's nearly an exercise in futility to strive for truly good (or even arguably good) sound in a really awful room. It's like trying to drive a golf cart in a really straight line through a plowed field.

Sure, there's some measures that can be observed that might make some difference:

1) Less is more... not necessarily less over-all SPL, but less general commotion from the band... play it really simple... and eliminate all except the bare essentials.

2) Play really tight.

3) Group the PA and backline gear in a really tight formation... getting the sound to be as close to being point source as possible helps some.

4) EQ out the standing waves.

But, beyond that stuff... you gotta take a step back and look at the bigger picture: Does the venue with the truly awful acoustics and lousy floor plan pack the place routinely? If the joint does pack-out routinely, does every band playing that venue sound awful in that venue? If every band sounds awful in that venue, and it still packs-out... connect the dots... maybe the crowd is there to wallow in truly awful... or experience that special blend of awful. If that's the case, give them what they want and quit stressing over it, except to identify what the magic combination is and then strive to consistently deliver that.

In the college town where I attended school, there was (still is) a tavern that is incredibly popular... and the joint is a complete toilet, with high-priced drinks, surly bartenders, lousy parking, smells bad, looks bad, sounds bad, and just is bad... and is consistently PACKED with hotties (and a few guys who get-it... whatever "it" is)... and has been that way for at least 5 decades.

I'd say work on developing a good splatterfest sound... and then just let-er rip.

• Moderators

How you guys deal with a tin ceiling wood walls and concrete floors?

A stage and dance floor on one side of the club and the crowd on the other side of the bar that doesn't soak up any of the sound?

To much reflection and to much low end boom even with low volume on stage and FOH and wedges.

Advice always appreciated as usual.

That's always a bad situation, as no one is selling a "reverb remover" just yet.

What I will do, if I care enough, is set up satellite speakers (with the appopriate delay). That way, more people are in the near field and the room sound is less dominant.

My worst nightmare is one of those tin and concrete barns with overhangs and an angry manager. :facepalm:

Terry D.

• Members

Hanging heavy curtains and a heavy backdrop also helps..... Other then that, cut down on the low end and have a good time. You have to figure every band that plays there has the same problem. Make slight adjustments so your sound is a little better then your competition's.

Archived