I Was Called a Sound Engineer

• Members

My bandmate's son and my son play in the middle school concert band. Jeff's son also plays guitar in the Jazz band. Last night was their first concert of the year. The Chorus also performs at this event. When the Jazz band learned that the chorus was going to perform Pinball Wizard, they asked the Music Director if they could back-up the chorus. A very cool idea. The MD gave them the sheet music and told them to learn it on their own. If they could play it well a week prior, he'd green light the project.

When Jeff and I heard about this, we too thought it was a cool idea. And then we thought about it had visions of 14 year old's with beaming Marshall half-stacks drowning out the audience - and the chorus. So we asked if we could provide sound for the evening. I have a great SR rig, but it has only been used for our band. I've never hired myself out (or volunteered myself out for that matter) and have never been responsible for someone else's sound or performance.

The kids learned their parts and got the green light last week. So I had the band over my house where my band rehearses last Sunday, and put them in a stage arrangement. Before they turned on their amps I explained to them about the importance of keeping stage volume low and letting the PA do the heavy lifting - especially since they were backing up a chorus. In short order Jeff and I had them dialed in well. The kids were eager to do it right. We went through the song about 4 times. They did learn the song quite well.

So last night was the big event. Jeff and I get there 3 hours early to set up. The band consisted of 2 guitars, drums, bass & keys - so I brought the full rig. I mic'd each amp, the drums and ran the keys direct. Then I did something I wasn't planning to do, I put three mics in front of the chorus (maybe 25 singers). I provided monitors for the both band and chorus, giving them separate mixes.

I first mixed the band and created a group for them. Then I asked the chorus to come on stage and mixed and grouped them. Then it was their first dress rehearsal - 1 hour before show time. They all did a great job. Jeff moved about the room and gave me hand signals so we could get them dialed-in just right. The performers left for a quick group diner and Jeff and I continued to tweak our set-up and set up mics for spoken word. The chorus sounded great through the PA, so I asked the MD if he wanted the chorus projected during the performance. At first he said no, then thought about it, and said, yeah, give them a little help.

First up was the chorus. I gave them an equal amount of volume that they were producing on their own. It filled the room perfectly. One of the male singers was struggling with one of the songs. He was right in front of the center mic, and coming through a bit too strong. So I turned down the center mic just a bit (enough to hide him). The MD gave me the approving nod.

After the chorus performed their 4 songs the MD introduced the jazz band. He explained that they had done this on their own. It was a very cool introduction. As the kids approached the area I gave them one more piece of advice - "no noodling". To my surprise, they took that advice. They didn't make a sound until the song began.

The kids pulled it off. It sounded great - mistake free too.

After that song there was an intermission so the concert band could get ready. But before dismissing the audience, the MD thanked the chorus and the Jazz band for a job well done. Then he thanked the Sound Engineers. I thought was cool. I was never called that before, and when I thought about, I was acting as a professional SE. I gave the audience a good experience.

It was a lot of fun and I was so happy I could participate.

• Members

Gary:

It sounds like you did a much better job than some of the SE I've heard at professional concerts. But then, maybe they're all deaf from years of running the sound at 120db. :D

Seriously, its GREAT to pass along what you've learned about music, sound, and stage presence to your kids. A lot of "parents" don't give their children the time of day. My hat's off to you, its great when a plan comes together. :thu:

Mike T.

• Members

Very cool. It's nice to be able to apply your band knowledge to a situation that help out with the kids. Most of those type events are hard to get through without a good PA. I've seen some band director drag up a mic stand with a 58 attached and put it in front of a choir and it did NOTHING to reinforce the sound.

The problem for you is no good dead goes unpunished....you'll be asked to do this a half dozen times a year for the rest of your life!:cop:

• Members

Well done. And I totally get your experience!

I am a total amature, self taught musician that does sound for my friends, kids bands, two bands of buddies. I am getting to the point were I enjoy it almost more than performing.

The most important thing I learned is make all the problems mine and make it a good expereince for the performers, and audience and you will always get asked back. Show a little love to them, and it comes back in a GREAT performance, which is just overall much easier to mix.

As a sound engineer once told me, 'ya can't polish turds...."

Archived