recovering old speakers

• Members

Hi friends I have a set of 4 2x15 subs i am going to be needing to to put into service this summer I think they are an older Yamaha club series sub. I have not used them yet. i am told that they do function properly. One thing I do know is that they look like junk. nasty beat up carpet and some kind of grill cloth. I have heard of guys covering cabs with some kind of truck bed liner. has anyone done this before? And where would be a good place to find pro looking metal grill material? I'm sure if I make them look better they will have to sound better right. lol

• CMS Author

Well, first make sure they work.

Bedliner is probably not the way to go here. In order to get it to look decent the wood has to be in perfect condition...like you were prepping a car for paint. The bedliner will show every imperfection. You have to completely strip every trace of glue on the box. If you're okay with all that work, then okay.

The easiest recovering method is 'ratfur' carpeting...the kinda fuzzy stuff they probably already have. It's fairly easy to stretch and glue on with spray adhesive, and doesn't need a lot of prep.

Metal grill can be a relatively expensive proposition..companies specialize in perforated metals and can make you one, but I'd try to see if you can source a replacement from Yamaha first.

Archived