Which Supercardioid to get ? AKG vs. EV vs. Sennheiser

• Members

AKG D5

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-D5-Handheld-Dynamic-Microphone?sku=270475

Electro-Voice N/D767a

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroVoice-ND767a-Dynamic-Supercardioid-Vocal-Microphone?sku=270058

Sennheiser e845

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-E845-Pro-Performance-Vocal-Mic-?sku=270827

I was originally looking at the Sennheiser because I've been happy with the e835 that I've had for a while. Why do I want a supercardioid? Because I want to try something different and I want to see what all this "most gain before feedback" stuff is about. And why these mics to choose from? I like the price points.

The mic will see 90% of its use in my rehearsal space. Also, when I get a new mic, I can pass the e835 along to my bass player so that he has something decent to sing into.

So what do you all think?

Thanks.

• Members

I used to have a standard 58 and preferred the Senn 835 to it. The Senn sounded more clear to me. I just assumed the same comparison would apply between the Beta58 and the Senn 845. No?

I take it you prefer the beta 58 over the others that I listed?

Thanks for the reply.

• Members

I can only compare the Sennheiser 845 to the Beta. I like the Beta58A better (use it for 90% of our show). It's a good balance of cutting through the mix and gain before feedback. I've used a half dozen mics and none have had more GBF than the 58A. It does have some proximity effect, yet is best if you're right up on it. So it just depends if that's for you.

• Members

The e845 and e945 mics are great. I use them and the e835 and 935's regularly.

I've never used the EV but it gets great reviews.

I've never been fond of AKG's mics, other than say the C451 or C414.

Shure's Beta 58 is a good contender, don't discount it. It sounds a lot different than the SM58.

More expensive, but the Audix OM6 and OM7 mics are great and I use them a lot as well. The OM6 is a more versataile mic, works great for a lot of different voices and situations, while the OM7 is geared towards rappers and loud rock singers on tight, extremely loud stages (best GBF mic that I know of). The polar pattern is extremely tight, and may not be the best mic for singing guitarists where the mic is to be on a stand.

• Members

I just assumed the same comparison would apply between the Beta58 and the Senn 845. No?

I take it you prefer the beta 58 over the others that I listed?

Thanks for the reply.

Not at all the same comparison. The Beta is totally different.

I actually like both mics, for different purposes and monitoring situations etc.

• Members

got it today

every reference that I've checked it against has not led me to believe it's a fake

plugged it in and sang a bit back to back with the 835 and couldn't really hear much of a difference ... but I'm not fined tuned to subtle differences either :)

won't be able to give it any kind of workout till next week

so far so good ...

• Members

I have used AKG D3800 mics for quite some time Luv their sound and durability have them paired up with the AKG wireless mic capsules, which they no longer make and we also have a Sennheiser E135 wireless great mic lots and lots of power and great sound

Archived