vrx915s - srx718s - EAW SB120zrb Subs

• Members

vrx915s - srx718s - EAW SB120zrb Subs. Which one sounds the best. My reference sub would be a Yorkville 720p as that is the only one I have heard that is of any quality. My choice on paper specs is the 915s, mainly because of its weight/size. How good does it sound compared to the others. I will be using an xti4000 for power, which seems to match the 915s pretty well. Sound quality is more important than quantity. The srx718s would seem to need a more powerful amp than I have to get the best out of them and could end up considerably more expensive to power them properly. Dont know much about the EAW sb120zrb and cant find anything relevant on the forum. Any other suggestions, bearing in mind weight is a major consideration. Subs would be used with either EV zx5, mrx512 or mrx515, maybe srx712 or yorkville u15. Live music, Rock, Country up to 200 peeps

• Members

You are plenty good on power with any of these subs and amp. Not in bridge mode of course. The VRX and SRX use the same class/type of driver, the difference is in the packaging and options. I think you might find the SRX718 to be a little bit more meaty, but real power handling is similar in practice.

I service a lot of JBL, and it's funny how folks bringing blown speakers and wonder if they need more power. Nope, you have too MUCH power and/or not enough speaker for the application. It's NEVER from too little power.

• Members

The VRX915s is rated 800w @ 4ohms, sensitivity 91dB and max 126dB SPL. The SRX 718s is rated 800w @ 8ohms, sensitivity 95 dB and a max 130dB SPL. Would the sound levels be similar bearing in mind that the Xti4000 is 1200w @ 4ohms and 650w @ 8ohms. The SRX goes lower but would the VRX sound crisper, if that makes sense. I dont have any way of comparing them myself. Thanks

• Members

No, the SRX would be a better speaker in all ways performance-wise, but at a more or less higher size/weight/cost.

The problem I see is that with 1200 watts at 4 ohms will tear the VRX apart without some serious self control or protective limiting that is properly set. That's an expensive driver to recone. For a reference point, JBL powers the 18" version of that cabinet (powered series) w/ approx. 750 watts RMS. (1500 watts peak)

From my experience, powering these at around the RMS rating provides the best long term performance, and eliminates much of the losses due to power compression that limit any significant SPL gains as you increase the power above this point. Obviously, I am suggesting that you do as JBL does, not what they "say" in their marketing gunk.

The SRX718, powered by the XTi 4000 is a great match IMO, you lose maybe 1/2dB of potential headroom by powering it from the XTi.

• Members

While I like the sound of the SRX718's, you may also consider the MRX518's. The subs sound pretty good and you should be able to match them up well in the XTi amp line. They are a bit smaller and cheaper than the SRX subs.

For a few dollars more I would also consider a Danely TH-Mini.

Since your using subs, I probably would stay in the "12 woofer/horn" speakers. There are quite a few posts that prefer the MRX512 over the SRX712 when used as mains, they are claimed to be a little warmer. In the EV line I would look at the ZX3, these guy's sound great to my ears and can get plenty loud.

Archived