Cable testers??

• Members

Has anyone had experience with ones that musicians friends sells like ebtech swizz army or the nady ct-6. Ive gotta check trs,xlr,nuetric and bananna cables. Im leaning towards the nady because it can do all the cables i need. Just looking for some reviews or recommendations

• Members

I have a Behringer cable tester, which is a cheap copy of the Ebtech. It works pretty well, but the 1/4" jacks are pretty cheap which makes it tough to check intermittent connections on those connectors. I imagine the Ebtech version is considerably better, but I've never used one.

I have the Rat Sound Sniffer/Sender as well, and it's great for checking snakes. I highly recommend getting one sometime, in addition to any other cable testers you may have.

I've used several testers similar to the Nady one, and I found that I dislike having to turn the switch to check every pin. Sometimes the ability to isolate pins comes in handy though, but I prefer it to be a bit more automatic.

It never hurts to have a few different cable testers available, so you can use the best one for the current application. Chances are you'll be happy with whatever you end up with.

• Members

I have the EWI and the Behringer. The Behringer is quicker to find a bad or intermittent cable, but the EWI is better for narrowing down the specific fault.

The EWI does more types of cables such as speakon and BNC as well.

If you hate Behringer, the Ebbtech is the (probably more) functional equivalent.

• Members

I picked up the Nady unit a while back from MF. It works very well. I considered the behringer unit but it didn't test Speakon NL4s. I can use a multimeter and own a couple. I only got the Nady cable tester because it was under $30 at the time and it is easier to test XLRs and especially NL4s with one. Only minor annoyance is the battery cover pops out and disconnects the battery occasionally.

Boomerweps

Archived