DIY splitter snake

• Members

I am in the planning stage of building a 16-channel isolated splitter box (plus 4 non split sends and 4 returns). The thing will all be housed in a single rack, with XLR inputs and Elco outputs. Minus my labor, I think I can build this with cinemag transformers for less than $1100 and have room for a future planned upgrade.

I will be using this splitter for location recording.

That design seems fine to me, but I am trying to spec the cable for the snake. I would like two 90-pin Elco to XLR fanouts, with one leg being 15' and another being 100'.

What would be the least expensive way of doing this? The time it takes me to build the connectors and fanout is not a factor, and I am planning to build the thing myself.

I do studio stuff lately and feel confidant in my ability to do the wiring, but I have never purchased a snake like this and I am having trouble finding a good price on 24-pair multichannel snake cable. What would you look for in this cable? What is a reasonable price to pay per foot? Does anyone sell a snake minus stage box, and would this be cheaper than buying individual connectors?

• Members

By the time you get done with this, I think you will find that you can buy a good pro unit for less than this used.

I have a 32x8 transformer isolated channel splitter snake w/ 200' main, 25' monitor, EDAC 120 pin disconnects, rack mount for not a whole lot more than what you will end up paying for your 16 channel homebrew. It's full pro touring duty, custom nickel alloy core mu-metal shielded transformers.

• Members

Well, then I have a related two questions.

Where would you purchase this device?

And

How necessary is the transformer isolation; I want to be able to interface this with basically anybody's PA system without causing them any more problems than patching it in.

• 1 month later...

Archived