Non-Matching QSC HPR122i - would you care?

• Members

If you were to buy two powered speakers at the same time, you would expect they would be close to the same batch. However, what would you do if you found out they were from slightly different batches?

I ask because we picked up two QSC HPR122i's from GC at the same time, and they were obviously produced at different times. One has the locking power cord and the other doesn't. The pattern on the cabinets is also slightly different.

I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning them because it seems minor. I would think QSC's quality control would maintain some consistency. Also, I haven't noticed much of a difference, but haven't scrutinized them extensively.

I'm probably just a little annoyed that I bought the two at the same time and would expect to get as close to a matching pair as possible, as opposed to two speakers that are obviously from different production runs.

I'm probably just getting this off my chest by soliciting some of your valued opinions on the topic on what you would do in this situation.

• Members

Thanks for all of your input. Now I feel more justified with the issue.

Go to QSC's site and see if there are any problems with the older one. They have had some issues which they have corrected. I would have a problem with it. I'd take them right back.

I checked QSC's site, but couldn't find a section dealing with problems with the HPR122i's. Thus, I posted the same question on their forum.

• Members

Let me see if I still have the site book marked. Its on the PC at work so I'll have to get back to you. I have 4 of the older version with the straight plug. Never had a problem, but some have , with the plug being pulled while in use.

• Members

Cool, Bugzie.

On a side note, I'm torn about the locking plug in that I might rather have the plug pulled out if someone trips over the cord than have the person fall down and get hurt or have the speaker crash down off the tripod.

• Members

There is a difference in output on the different series also. Take them back and pitch a bitch. They will probably apologize through their noses, and throw you a bone(free cables maybe). Complain about how far you had to drive and the cost involved heheheheh works everytime for me, but then again I can get real loud!

• Members

Loop don't know if your married, but lets say you bought your wife a pair of earrings. Could you imagine the bitch fit she would throw if they didn't match. :mad:

I know would definitely want a matching pair esp. if their for your FOH. After all, you are the paying customer and most places have the customer is always right policy.

• Members

Bugzie, Thanks for finding the Service Bulletin. The older HPR122i is from the GI8xxxxxx serial # series, which places it among the group with issues (even more of a reason to return it). Fortunately, the newer HPR122i is from the GL8xxxxxx serial # series, which places it after the issue and which is the first month they included the locking connectors.

twostone, are you equating me to someone's wife? ;) (Yeah, I know you did the opposite).

And yeah, any good business should ensure their paying customers get what should be expected from a transaction.

I called GC yesterday. The rep said they don't have any more new in stock, but should get more on Tuesday. He didn't seem thrilled, but agreed to replace it.

As far as travel is concerned, yes, it's an annoying hassle to have to return it, wasting unnecessary time out of my life. Too bad the rep knows I live four blocks away (a dangerous proximity for someone with G.A.S.).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Update:

After over a month including unecessary delays on GC's part, GC finally got a replacement in. The replacement is a March, 09 model that is replacing a September, 07 (the other HPR122i is a December, 08). Glad to finally have this resolved and glad to finally be able to send in for the rebate.

• Members

Good to hear Lopp! I bought mine strictly to replace some old yamaha club series monitors. What an amazing difference. I'm sure that you'll love the things. There's no doubt that with a set of the matching subs under them they can rock the house AND sound great doing it.

Archived