Sub or monitors? Adding on to a basic PA

• Members

I'm kind of a newb when it comes to live sound reinforcement. I've always been in bands where someone else hooked up stuff and ran it. When I had my own groups, I usually went with something pretty basic and ran it into the ground.

Now that I'm back leading my own group, I'm interested in getting the right stuff. I currently have a Yamaha EMX512SC 8/12 channel powered mixer, two Yamaha S115V passive main speakers and two Peavey Mini Monitor IIs (also passive).

My intention is to upgrade the monitors to some Yamaha SM12Vs and most likely a power amp along with it. But before I do that, I'm thinking of adding a subwoofer before our next gig.

My questions are: What should I get next: floor monitors or a subwoofer? Should I go with a powered/active subwoofer or look into a separate power amp and passive subwoofer? I don't want to have to replace the mains since I just bought them a couple of months ago. I don't mind replacing the Peavey mini monitors, though.

Also, would there be any way I could keep the Peaveys and add on the Yamaha SM12vs without using another power amp? The Peaveys are 16 ohm, the Yamahas 8 ohm.

• Members

Before you get a bunch "invested" (poured down a rat hole) in a monitor rig, consider going to IEMs. You'll hear better, and the sound in the house will be better owing to the lack of "monitor wash" bouncing around the room. Also much easier on the back, and less space in the van.

• Members

Before you get a bunch "invested" (poured down a rat hole) in a monitor rig, consider going to IEMs. You'll hear better, and the sound in the house will be better owing to the lack of "monitor wash" bouncing around the room. Also much easier on the back, and less space in the van.

+1 I totally agree with this.

• Members

Subs and Monitors are of perhaps an equal amount of importance, but of course for different reasons.

NOW might be a good time to really look at where you want to end up in the end PA wise, and consider whether any of your present equipment really fits into that picture. If it does not... there is no sense "adding on" to the present system... better to just start off buyng things one at a time that truely do show up in your desired final picture.

• Members

Subs and Monitors are of perhaps an equal amount of importance, but of course for different reasons.

NOW might be a good time to really look at where you want to end up in the end PA wise, and consider whether any of your present equipment really fits into that picture. If it does not... there is no sense "adding on" to the present system... better to just start off buyng things one at a time that truely do show up in your desired final picture.

This is really good advice. Monitors will be much easier to integrate into your current sytem. I was playing in a band that used a similar Yamaha box. There is no good way to add a sub and still use the internal amps for the mains/tops.

• Members

Thanks for the helpful replies, guys.

I agree that wireless IEMs are desirable, but they can be pricey for a decent pair for everyone in the band.

I also suspected that adding a subwoofer might be a problem with this setup. Part of the reason I got the 15s instead of 12s, so I'd still have some low-end without one.

I'll probably just get a couple of Yamaha SM12Vs for now (to replace the Mini Monitors), then gradually get a real PA system over the next year or so...

Archived