help upgrading my church pa!

• Members

Hi,right now im using 4 electrovoice sx80 and a 18' sub with 2 mackies m800 amps and a cfx16 mixer for almost 10 years. All work fine but right now we r broadcasting our services on tv in a local worship channel. The Guys from the channell have no concern about the sound, they just plug a cable in one of my outputs and course instruments r running in their own amps SCREW the instruments, just plain vocals on the recording.HORRIBLE! i have use a condenser C1 to capture the instruments but is not enough!

im planning on buying better amps and two 12' speakers with a bigger board(keeping my 18' behringer sub wich i havent use since bought it, course i have no amp for it) to mix my drums, keys, guitar,vocals and some bass, course i know the ev sx80's would blow with real instrument.Our Church have space for 200 people.

budget $3,000.00

- two speakers (was planning on buying the sancuary 12' course they preffer withe, also the electrovoice sx 100 come in white same price)

- two amps (planning on buying 2 500watts per ch peaveys amp or the crowns xti1000)

- mixer (the new cfx20 or allen and heath ZED-24)

ty...

• Members

So, why aren't you mic'ing the instruments? Even if it is just for the broadcast.

You could pan the vocals to the Left, and the music to the Right - you would send the Left output to the mains to keep the current set up, and the Right wouldn't be sent out to anything. The TV guys would get the Mono/ Composite of both channels - and mixedtogether you would hear vocals and music.

Then you would just have to adjust the right fader against the left, so the vocals could be heard easily above the music.

I'll leave your purchasing needs to somebody who deals with that.

• Members

If it is working fine right now you should consider leaving the PA alone AND buy a mixer and mic all the instruments...

Route them to a separate recording mix! This is very common and can be done without tearing up the church trying to make things louder. What you will find at the end of it is you'll have a board mix similar to the one now (since guitars and drums don't need to be amplified). Start by creating a separate mix using pre fade sends or sub grouping or mic splitters and a 2nd board, there are no cost ways to do what you are doing.

• Members

Upgrading the speaker output and mixer might be desired, but doing that will not solve the stated problems. I would first start merely buying mics, cables, and stands, and maybe a couple DI boxes and a snake. There's no reason you can't use the main mix for the church PA and the TV broadcast. You don't want a separate mix for them - you only have to worry about getting one good mix, which is much better than what you have now. You just need to mic what you have. Maybe you need some more monitors.

• Members

:thu:Thanks for the Reply, i havent think of making a mix for the instruments only, wich i think is a great idea. Also i have to change the speakers and i need a bigger mixer course im using a cfx12 not cfx16, sry i get it wrong, and also i need new amps for the sub and speakers, im using and old Audiocentron and my sub amp is gone! the four sx80 im using now where white and now their yellow so they want to change them any way.

do u fill possitive about the electrovoice sx100 and can anyone recommend me an amp for them! ive been using two sx100 or maybe two sancuary 12 '' also would the allen and heat 24 chmixer any good (i havent use any of their mixers before) TY.:facepalm:

• Members

:thu:Thanks for the Reply, i havent think of making a mix for the instruments only, wich i think is a great idea. Also i have to change the speakers and i need a bigger mixer course im using a cfx12 not cfx16, sry i get it wrong, and also i need new amps for the sub and speakers, im using and old Audiocentron and my sub amp is gone! the four sx80 im using now where white and now their yellow so they want to change them any way.

do u fill possitive about the electrovoice sx100 and can anyone recommend me an amp for them! ive been using two sx100 or maybe two sancuary 12 '' also would the allen and heat 24 chmixer any good (i havent use any of their mixers before) TY.
:facepalm:

A& H mixers are excellent - I can honestly say I have never seen one that I didn't like.

• Members

Ok so i decided to take the electrovoice sx80s from the walls of the church and paint them white again(they have turn yellow with time),they seem to be in exelent condition so far.

Things i already have:

- four ev sx80 speakers(mains)

- one 18" behringer sub

- one Mackie m1400 amp(i may use it bridge on the sub)

- one behringer autocom pro mdx1400 compressor

i will buy the A&H zed24 mixer as a main board and keep the cfx12 as a utility mixer(maybe for mixing the drums and percusion, then send them to the A&H)

I also need an amp for the sx80s so i decided a PV1500 or crownXTi1000.

Do i need any processor for the main speakers like a driverack or eqs for the main mix. any advice for that would be great.(Also as u may know the amps im using have build in crossovers)...I also need to replace the monitors( im using old powered peaveys), but they want me to get some white speakers as monitors and put them on the walls instead of the floor:confused: im still :confused:thinking what to do bout monitors!:facepalm:

Archived