Ran sound for a hip-hop show, things I learned

• Members

I too, did my 1st (and now LAST) h-h-rap on fri.

ended up shutting all levels down, no gain, mains @ -20, amp gains less than a third.

oh yeah got it too-"Yo, Mister Soundman. Turn that {censored} up!"----He had a numark mixer (pos) mixing from 4 sources, laptop, ipod, cd's and thumb drive, with so many dif levels. He pegged his volume and kept clipping my soundcraft 8 channel.

So I went on stage set his volume to a little less than half, pulled knob off, put gaf tape on post and told him if I see you reach volume again show is over!

Then 15 mins later got rained out.....

I knew I'd have the same problem so that's where the hard limiter comes in handy. Also having a PAD on each channel really helps too, when the source gets to hot, engage the pad and work farther down from there.

If the DJ wants to play the clipping game let him, no reason to push your system to the limits. Back off the extreme low and high end a bit to compensate for the horrid bass/treble boost and sit back. The system will sound worse and worse but not because of you, because of mr DJ. I let DJ's know in advance of this too so there aren't any suprises.

NYE I had an awful gig where I didn't strap a limiter across the DJ input and the amp they fried is STILL in repair. I was not present for the killing of the poor amp, I was very aware of it when I got an angry phone call that eve.

• Members

I too, did my 1st (and now LAST) h-h-rap on fri.

ended up shutting all levels down, no gain, mains @ -20, amp gains less than a third.

oh yeah got it too-"Yo, Mister Soundman. Turn that {censored} up!"----He had a numark mixer (pos) mixing from 4 sources, laptop, ipod, cd's and thumb drive, with so many dif levels. He pegged his volume and kept clipping my soundcraft 8 channel.

So I went on stage set his volume to a little less than half, pulled knob off, put gaf tape on post and told him if I see you reach volume again show is over!

Then 15 mins later got rained out.....

That's funny! :thu:

But seriously, I'd be worried that he (or one of his goons) would want to "cap" me for that!!

• Members

At 77% par cans would see 50% of total power, at 60% fader I was pretty sure i wouldn't blow a 15a circut (didn't). BUT the 16ga cable fed BOTH dimmer packs and is definitly not rated for that current.

Wow I didn't catch you ran all 8 off the 16 ga extension. :eek:

Archived