Quality mic stands?

• Members

Could someone recommend a quality mic stand? I have been buying the $30 on stage boom stands, which work ok. I try to always be careful when adjusting them to ensure they don't strip out. However, I use them 4-6 gigs per week and it seems the nut/bolt always wears out at the boom adjustment after 4 months or so. I just don't think these things are built to handle that kind of use. The base and stands themselves are ok, so I may just try to buy a better boom. Shoot me your opinions. Thanks.

• Members

I use a Hercules tilting mic stand instead of a boom. However, since I've started playing keys again, I'm going to have to go with some sort of boom to reach over the keyboards. The Hercules mic stands are by far the best quality mic stands that I've ever used. That quality comes with a price, but it's not THAT expensive compared to throwing away mic stands year after year.

• Members

My Favorite by far is Tama.

As I'm sure you know, Tama makes Drum hardware mostly, but they do also have mic stands and they are SOLID! The hardware is exceptional. I love mine and have 3 of them.

The only drawbacks that I can think of are -

1. They are a bit heavy which is good in some ways, but I thought I should mention it.

2. It would be nice if they had a black option. As far as I know, they only come in chrome.

• Members

My keyboardist has an Ultimate Apex column keyboard stand, and we ordered up the add-on mic stand. Now, I dunno if this is a feature only found on this design, or if Ultimate is integrating them to all their new mic stands, but the boom has ONE knob on it. It controls the angle, the distance of the boom, and any boom rotation. All in one knob, and it's quite difficult to overtighten. We've tried, can't do it.

Decent image I can find of it:

media.nl?id=237&c=320443&h=44b8620d37b2d

And much better image. Nice size:

MC-40-d3a9aeb7b2782e3a32a241fd550d574b.j

• Members

+2 for K&M. When I first bought stands and couldn't afford $60 a stand, I just got a bunch of cheapies and replace them as they failed with K&M's, this was the easiest way for me to get stands.

Archived