Balanced Main FOH using Mono system

• Members

Hi,

I'm using stereo main FOH in my system right now, but most of time I have to adjust level between L/R , so it can be balanced power output.

I think I'm going to use Mono as Main for L/R main FOH as few options:

Ofcourse all of instrument which need Stereo is still hook stereo into Mixer, then I either use:

1/ L/R output from Mixer > Y cable to combine from L/R to Mono then input to crossover ( 1 channel of crossover) > use Y cable from output of High and Y cable from Low into power amp. In this case I don't have to worry about L/R main is equal power or not.

2/ Sum mono output from mixer > 1 channel crossover then as step above.

Which one the best ideal to use mono output ?

Thanks

• Members

dont use y cables to combine, only split.

why dont you just pan all the inputs to one side, say left, then take the left side into one side of the xover. then parallel your amp sides together either with onboard switching or a cable?

why do you want mono? i don't understand your point about balancing, especially if you leave the pan pots straight up at noon position.

what mixer? what power amps? what Xover?

• Members

Always use the mono output, ? from Mixer ?

summing the L/R outputs will stress the output components of the mixer.? What Stress ?

why dont you just pan all the inputs to one side, say left, then take the left side into one side of the xover. then parallel your amp sides together either with onboard switching or a cable? I did parallel before.

why do you want mono? i don't understand your point about balancing, especially if you leave the pan pots straight up at noon position.? Even leave the pan pots at noon position. You or I will notice that the output level ( I mean the loud of sound from Main speakers) will not equal.

Mixer= Mackie SR24-4 or Onyx 1604

Amps = Crown XTI 4000 ( I don't want to use DSP software build in this

amp, just want to DSP OFF ), MT 2400

Crossover= DOD or Behringer or DBX

• Members

Always use the mono output, ? from Mixer ?

summing the L/R outputs will stress the output components of the mixer.? What Stress ?

why dont you just pan all the inputs to one side, say left, then take the left side into one side of the xover. then parallel your amp sides together either with onboard switching or a cable? I did parallel before.

why do you want mono? i don't understand your point about balancing, especially if you leave the pan pots straight up at noon position.? Even leave the pan pots at noon position. You or I will notice that the output level ( I mean the loud of sound from Main speakers) will not equal.

Mixer= Mackie SR24-4 or Onyx 1604

Amps = Crown XTI 4000 ( I don't want to use DSP software build in this

amp, just want to DSP OFF ), MT 2400

Crossover= DOD or Behringer or DBX

i'm not understanding you very well.

first, Y cords are meant to split, not combine. your mixer is for combining. ..the signal doesnt know it's not supposed to travel back up the other side of the Y cord;)

what's wrong with paralleling then?

"You or I will notice that the output level ( I mean the loud of sound from Main speakers) will not equal." A:we shouldnt, except on stereo sources like leyboards or effects..in that case by using only the mono output from the source, panned straight up, stereo will be indistinguishable from mono. for that matter there is no reason to run a stereo source into the mixer if you want to go mono anyways...

what's the crossover for?

• Members

To the OP: The mixer output is ACTIVE, which means it has voltage and sources current. You never ever want to Y an active output. You likely won't damage it, as most output circuits are designed to withstand abuse or misuse like that (and Mackie does use good basic circuit design.) But that's not how to do it. It will degrade your sound considerably.

Your SR24-4 and Onyx has a mono output, which sums all the L+R mix regardless of pan position. Just use it...that's what it's for.

If you want to keep a stereo image (say for recording purposes), you can assign all the channels to two sub-busses. One sub bus for your left FOH, and one for your right. What you're doing is getting two main faders, allowing you to adjust the L/R balance of the entire mix without messing with individual pan on each channel.

• Members

I don't follow you one bit... if the pan pots are straight up, the output levels between left and right will be balanced. If they are not, you have other problems... either a bad piece of equipment/wiring or a problem you have created yourself.

• Members

I agree with andy, if Left is louder than Right something is very wrong in the system. The 1st place I'd look is any balaced cable between the mixer and amp, test them to make sure all 3 pins work. Maybe the crossover is set incorrectly? Using new cables (or working 100% for sure) make sure that when the mackie meters are level that the next piece of gear is seeing the same identical levels. The keep going down the signal chain...

Archived