Waterproof audio connector?

• Members

I'm playing around with building a DIY hydrophone and I don't like the idea of being limited to whatever length of cable I build onto the mic. So I'm looking for a decent quality, waterproof audio connector preferably with some sort of safety fastener (e.g a screw lock) so the thing doesn't fall to the bottom of the lake/river/ocean. I figured if anybody would have any suggestions, it's be one of you fine folks. I imagine that they should be fairly small (e.g. XLR-ish in size), since they'll be going on the end of a single mic cable, not a snake. Thoughts?

I'm open to suggestions for connectors that aren't made any more, as long as they're reasonably available 2nd hand. There are just for me and I likely won't make more than a couple mics with 1-2 extension cables a piece, so finding large quantities is not a concern. (a dozen should be more than enough)

Thanks,

-Dan.

• Members

Many industries that have to deal with fluid ingress (e.g. medical devices, automotive, broadcast video) use Lemo connectors. You can buy these at most electronic parts vendors on-line such as mcminone.com, digikey.com, etc.

There are so many to choose from based on form factor, pin count, price, etc.

http://www.lemo.com/products/connector/connector_overview.jsp

• Members

Thanks guys. Lemo looks like it might be the way to go, though I'm still open to suggestions. The Neutriks are only IP65 rated, which as I found out, means "Protected against low pressure jets if water from all directions - limited ingress permitted." These are going to be submerged for long periods of time at depths beyond 1m, so I'd need an IP68 rating.

-Dan.

Archived