Power Consumption, Speaker Choices, Power Amps, etc...

• Members

I'm sure this info can be found somewhere in this forum but my search efforts didn't return the info I needed - perhaps someone can point me to the right spot... :)

I'm in the process of scoping out new sound equipment for our band (mixer, speakers, monitors, subs... the works) and I want to make sure that I properly consider all the power requirements. Don't want to be blowing up speakers, etc. during our first performance with the new equipment... :)

So, given that I'm not a math wiz by any stretch of the imagination - is there a formula or process that I should follow when considering the power requirements of power amps, mixers, speakers, etc.?

Thanks!

-Samson

• Members

For watts to speakers, you need to be able to decipher "Marketing speak".

Manufacturers often like to rate their products as having the highest wattage or maximum db rating. To do this, they will "massage" the numbers. To this end, please note the following:

RMS: this is the amount of wattage a speaker can handle for an extended period continuously.

Program: This rating I find more confusing, but I believe is based on running a musical signal through the speaker. Music "Program" is not constant, and therefore you can use a higher rating than RMS (usually 1.5-2X higher).

Peak: This is for bragging rights, and is more a measure of how much power a speaker can handle for a fraction of a second without sustaining physical damage. This is typically 2-4X the RMS rating.

As far as what I think you should do. I would plan on using 1.5X the RMS rating on the subs, and mids, and if you tri-amp, I would back off to 1X RMS for the highs.

Often in the case of subs, it is difficultexpensive to get sub amps that can satisfy the 1.5X spec. I run less than that on my subs (but more than RMS) without issue.

I think it is more important to make sure you have enough boxes to cover your gig as opposed to trying to get the last watt to each box and risking damage.

• Members

I think it is more important to make sure you have enough boxes to cover your gig as opposed to trying to get the last watt to each box and risking damage.

Good point - and that's another interesting topic. How does one decide "how much" is too much and "how much" is not enough? I would take it that you would have to consider the venue, ya?

We've been playing in front of small (50 or less people in a small building) to an average size crowd (250 or so people outdoors). If you buy enough equipment to cover the larger crowds can it actually be too much for the smaller crowds?

Thanks for the info, btw, great stuff....

• Members

I'm rusty and was never the end all of know how when it came to PA. One thing I do know from chasing the "Smart People"... a little can go a long way. I have done huge High school gems with 4 cheap 15" two way speakers and 4 nice 12" two way monitors with two 125 watt powered boards. the sound was good. We did outside weddings like this as well. Not the best not the worst.

Next I went three Stereo amps at 550 watts a side each amp, Two really nice mains, one nice Sub & two nice monitors... I really didn't gain or loose anything??? Moving air and running more speakers was better to my ears then running lots more power through less but much better equipment??

Let someone more qualified answer for your best solution. But if you have very little money, IMO cheap stuff can work well if you are careful and use common sense.

Lets be relistic, most venues want us to play quiter, take less space and get in and out faster. Most venues don't pay any more then they did 20 years ago. Hellow Inflation!!

I don't think its even nessasary to mic amps at little clubs. maybe a line in from the bass just cracked on. Maybe a mic between the Hi-hat and snare and one in the base just cracked on. and one per vocal. Two 15" speakers and a few monitors should do for a $500 dollar gig. Add the subs if its $700.

• Members

..). If you buy enough equipment to cover the larger crowds can it actually be too much for the smaller crowds?

No, not really. A big PA in a small room meerly needs to have the master fader pulled down a little more.

Archived