How to set up jam-space monitoring? (IEMs)

• Members

Hi, I play in a heavy rock band. We have 2 guitars, 1 bass guitar, 1 vocals, and 1 drums. I have linked the headphone splitter we have, the headphones we use, and the mixing board that we use. We are trying to mic everything in the jam space so that we can all monitor through the mixer and save our ears and hear everything clearly.

I basically have no idea how/where to hook in this headphone splitter into the mixer to guarantee the best sound. Am I supposed to use the AUX functions? Any shove in the right direction would be great! Thanks!

Headphone splitter:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-HP4K99-Headphone-Two-Pack?sku=500892

Headphones:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SCL2-Sound-Isolating-Earphones?sku=270648

Mixer:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=631213V&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

• Members

If you are only hooking to the headphones I would use the main outputs. However take note you have no limiting on that headphone amp so bad stuff can happen to hearing. Just a precaution (Im sure others will go into detail).

My band tried something like this for awhile and we couldn't really do it. So much easier for us to just use amps and wear earplugs if needed.

• Members

I use the stereo out signal on the mixer to a headphone distributor. No amps, mics only on vocals. If set properly, you should not need to mic the drums, whatever bleeds through the vocal mics and the accoustic volume of the drum is enough, at least for us. Since the plugs are isolated, through the main we put out some reference through the mains. It works for us even if it is not too coventional.

• Members

OK, I'll bite.....DO NOT USE A STANDARD HEADPHONE SPLITTER FOR MONITORING.

Most don't have limiters and once your hearing is gone, it will not come back. I've had tinnitus for over 20 years - 24/7 noise in my right ear - never stops never will. It is because I WAS STUPID when I was younger. I stood next to a very loud drummer that loved his cymbals. One day I woke up with pain and a ringing sound in my ear. I've had it ever since.

Dont cheap out when it comes to your hearing. Honestly, it is not worth a lifetime of noise to "be cool" and play loud. If it weren't for IEMs (real IEMs) I could not play live anymore. If I'm in a bar with a loud band I have terrible pain, if I'm at a restaurant with a lot of people talking, I can't heard a word of what people are saying to me because the background noise takes over.

Save your money and get a real IEM set up with proper limiting.

• Members

They all have limiters ... it's called hard clipping. It's gonna depend on the output level possible from your cans or earpieces. You could ruin your ears even with a limiter. How do you set it? How do you know?

• Members

OK, I'll bite.....DO NOT USE A STANDARD HEADPHONE SPLITTER FOR MONITORING.

Or: use proper headphones. Quality in-ear buds have very good isolation, so you don't need to turn anything up very loud to hear it over the kit and amps.

Archived