Demo'd KV2 EX2.2's Saturday

• Members

Saturday at an outdoor gig I got the chance to demo a pair of EX2.2's and all I can say is WOW. Normally for this show we use 2 or 4 SRX718's powered by an Itech6000. Within 15 minutes I had the KV2's sounding better than the SRX's ever had which meant not dealing with the PA while we played.

Tops were a pair of SRX715's powered by an Itech4000, I had to bump the Xover to 120Hz and a 5db push to keep up with the EX2.2's which I had set at -6 on the internal gain.

The 12's on the KV2's were tight and punchy, the kick from both the Vista Lite kick and later the TD6 electric (it was 103 out and the drummers legs started to cramp) were both great sounded. With the 718's a compressor is needed to get the kick tight but that was disengaged with the KV2's.

• Members

Bass guitar sound nice too down low in the sub? I have always wanted to try one or two of these subs. As you know I have a pair of 718's, and as far as small subs go, not a lot of options that are better. Im always looking for an upgrade or atleast something that will make my job easier and faster.

Did you have any AC issues? How did you cross the tops vs subs? Did you use the crossover in the sub?

• Members

My bass player loved the subs. We always stack the subs on his side of the stage, said it was the best tone he's had in a long time.

We tripped the breaker twice but that was the circuit with the Itech4000 plugged into it. The EX2.2's have the internal Xover set at 120Hz and I didn't use an external xover just the one built into the subs and the one in the Itech.

Definitely easier to setup/tear down than the 718's.

The best part is at places where we were using the ES700P we can now use a single EX2.2 and venues where we used the 718's then a pair of EX2.2's will suffice. No more need to carry 5 subs around.

• Members

I get a lot of joy when some one comes into my shop to demo our KV2 cabinets.

I always just set up one EX10 pole mounted above an EX2.2 and bring it up to about 30%. You see a smile appear on the persons face. When I take it up to 80% and their pant legs are blowin' in the breeze, the look on their faces changes to pure astonishment.

• Members

I've had the 718's for about 2 years and liked them but we always ended up using our ES700P at least 90% of the time. As a 3 piece we tend to get booked into smaller venues. Basically the 718's just took up trailer space.

For now I'll continue to use the 715's for tops as I'm now a bit strapped for cash. But I'm sure once I get some more funds we'll demo the KV2 tops as well or if EV comes out with ZXa3's...

• Members

I always just set up one EX10 pole mounted above an EX2.2 and bring it up to about 30%. You see a smile appear on the persons face. When I take it up to 80% and their pant legs are blowin' in the breeze, the look on their faces changes to pure astonishment.

I've done a couple rock gigs with the EX12's pole-mounted on top of the EX2.2. Even in a tent those subs thump! That rig goes beyond what my ears can handle nowadays. Plus I've done some acoustic gigs with the EX10's, and they sound very clean and smooth.

(yes, I do work for a KV2 dealer. We're also a Meyer dealer, and I'm happy with either company's product)

• Members

I've done a couple rock gigs with the EX12's pole-mounted on top of the EX2.2. Even in a tent those subs thump! That rig goes beyond what my ears can handle nowadays. Plus I've done some acoustic gigs with the EX10's, and they sound very clean and smooth.

(yes, I do work for a KV2 dealer. We're also a Meyer dealer, and I'm happy with either company's product)

Then you'd probably agree, the KV2's are leaps and bounds above the run of the mill MI boxes most use.

IMHO, they're simply another level.

• Members

On a one to one basis the EX 2.2 should walk all over a single QSC K sub even though they both are dual 12's and both claim 1000w. Dollar per dollar you can get 2 K subs vs one EX 2.2 with about a $2000 dollar budget. Now, that said, how would the dual K subs stack up against a single 2.2?

• Members

And you would have to haul and power twice the equipment.

Brian was right, we put the single EX2.2 at unity gain on the sub and it still kept up with a pair of 715's powered by a ITech 4000 with a 5db bump on the cross-over. We need a couple of high paying gigs so we can get the EX12's.

Bill - how adjustable is the pole for these. Is the thread on the sub a M35. Can we run 2 EX12's over 2 EX2.2's?

• Members

Ned911,

How does the output of the EX2.2 compare with the output of the SRX718S? I know you said it sounded better/tighter, but does it get as loud or louder than your JBL? I ask because I keep toying with selling my rig and getting a KV2 system and can't seem to figure out if the EX2.2 will be enough sub or if I would I need the EX2.5? I'm familiar with the 718 subs so just curious how the outputs compare. I currently use EV Phoenix PX2181 double 18 subs and they pack a wholup....though they are overkill for alot of what I do.

Thanks.

• Members

Ned911,

How does the output of the EX2.2 compare with the output of the SRX718S? I know you said it sounded better/tighter, but does it get as loud or louder than your JBL? I ask because I keep toying with selling my rig and getting a KV2 system and can't seem to figure out if the EX2.2 will be enough sub or if I would I need the EX2.5? I'm familiar with the 718 subs so just curious how the outputs compare. I currently use EV Phoenix PX2181 double 18 subs and they pack a wholup....though they are overkill for alot of what I do.

Thanks.

To my ears, the KV2 seemed louder than the SRX718s - and definitely seemed like it had more clarity when turned up loud.

Two of them were brutal, even turned down a little, and seemed much louder than running four 718s. They're just amazingly efficient in turning power into moving air molecules.

Brian V.

• Members

Bill, thanks for the reply. I figured the KV2 should be louder, but we all know that real world performance often times differs from mfg specs. I was just curious if they found that the KV2 did have better output. Sounds like they do according to Brian's last post. Thanks guys.

• Members

All the limiting is built in. The subs actually sounded better without the compressor/gate that we had on the kick.

Bill - how short does the pole get? If we run 2 EX2.2 stacked can we still keep the top at a reasonable height?

• Members

All the limiting is built in. The subs actually sounded better without the compressor/gate that we had on the kick.

Bill - how short does the pole get? If we run 2 EX2.2 stacked can we still keep the top at a reasonable height?

What Ned said - even when we switched to an electronic kick (which had a much stronger signal, since he didn't have to hit it as hard to get more out of it), they delivered a very strong and quick attack. I was impressed.

Brian V.

Archived