Adding a subwoofer to PA- Help?

• Members

gentlemen, if you own the 700p and understand how it works,you will see the smiley face around those frequencies help smooth out the sub.look, you have to play with those freq alittle, but i,ve found it make the sub sound better.

Generally a smiley face is the first thing that people do to their EQs when they get them. That is what they are taught. After enough years of experience a smiley face is kind of a sign that the operator is a noob. We all went through it. I used smileys for years until I was taught how to use EQ and the sound quality has been much improved. We often judge a sound tech by their EQ settings and always chuckle at the pretty smiley face. No offense. I used one from 1975 until about 1984 when I started studying Music Business in college.

• Members

gentlemen, if you own the 700p and understand how it works,you will see the smiley face around those frequencies help smooth out the sub.look, you have to play with those freq alittle, but i,ve found it make the sub sound better.

I understand plenty how it works.

Boosting 125Hz goes against anything I have ever measured with that sub... provided you have a proper crossover.

Actually, if you find this to be the case, it's generally an indication that the crossover frequency needs to be shifted up.

• Members

Do I need a high pass filter? Will it be bad for me to run a line out of my EMX Yamaha 860 straight into the sub? I was thinking all I need to do to start off with is run my normal PA setup- EON's (FOH) straight into the powered mixer and run the sub from the line out? Will that work?

Again I'm new to this, I've never used a sub before. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy/deal with anything more then plugging in the sub to the powered mixer and enjoying the fullness of a sub?

Am I wrong?

Chances are whatever powered sub you go with will have a low pass filter built in so you'll be fine using a full range line out from the mixer. Why would you want your tops to waste power trying to produce the lower frequencies that the subs can do without breaking a sweat?!? Chances are that your powered sub might also have a HPF output for your tops. Use it.

Archived