TAF4 to XLR?

• Members

I have found a Countryman B6 locally for cheap. I want to use it to mic our fiddle player. But it has a sony transmitter and its connector is setup for that.

I think it is a TAF4 connector. I am sure that it is a 4-pin connector.

Is there a way to convert this mic to something that can be plugged into a standard mixer?

Is this mic acceptable for use in that application?

• Members

Several manufacturers make power modules that replace their wireless bodypack with a unit that takes a standard XLR connector. some require battery for the DC bias, others can use phantom power. Some have belt clips.

I'm thinking like the AT 8531, AKG B29L (takes 2 lavaliers) and so on.

Then you have to sort out the mini-plug wiring from the Countryman. They have a helpsheet on that, here:

http://www.countryman.com/display.asp?catid=4&pid=75

• Members

Several manufacturers make power modules that replace their wireless bodypack with a unit that takes a standard XLR connector. some require battery for the DC bias, others can use phantom power. Some have belt clips.

I'm thinking like the AT 8531, AKG B29L (takes 2 lavaliers) and so on.

Then you have to sort out the mini-plug wiring from the Countryman. They have a helpsheet on that, here:

http://www.countryman.com/display.asp?catid=4&pid=75

Correct, but now the OP's "cheap" mic just got real expensive. ;)

• Members

Based on those diagrams from Countryman's site, it looks like there are only signal and ground coming out of the E6 capsule-- it looks like an unbalanced, unpowered device, with a resistor between two pins of the connector to deal with 5V from the sony bodypack.

If that is the case, could I snip the connector wire a 1/4" TS connector to the end, and plug that into a DI?

That is a $150 experiment, so I'm not going to do it if I don't know fer sure. But if someone has experience rewiring a B6 and can yea or nay it, I feel confidant I can build the connector.

If that won't work, then what are folks experiences with micing fiddle using onboard mics? A replacement bridge is a non-starter for the player, whose goal is a louder version of the unamplified sound without having to stand under an SM81 or use her vocal mic (our two typical solutions).

We are looking at something like the AT PRO 35, but the B6 is far smaller (looking) and within 10% of the new price (minus my free labor).

• Members

No, the mic element needs the low voltage bias to work.

Any of the compact lav condensers with the power supply will work fine.

I have an almost new Audio Technica 831 lav WITH power pack and XLR balanced direct out available surplus. I also have a new Audio Technica AT8531 power pack with TA3M connector (mates w/ TA3F) available. I also have TA3F connectors. This may be another option, but involves some "roll your own" flavor.

PM me if interested.

• Members

It's possible, but you need somebody willing and able to do some audio electronics DIY. A fairly simple circuit with a 9v battery and a small number of parts could produce a signal that would go well into a DI. But it's not going to be a matter of just soldering on a different connector.

Countryman is a pretty nice company, though. Worth calling and asking.

• Members

AT's ATM350 would be the ticket, about a hundred bucks more than your "cheap" mic.

atm350_1.jpg

That looks pretty bulky and obtrusive to be useful micing a violin, unless it's smaller than that in real life.

Andy's 831 would be a good option though. I've used those on violas in an orchestra setting with good results.

• Members

It's possible, but you need somebody willing and able to do some audio electronics DIY. A fairly simple circuit with a 9v battery and a small number of parts could produce a signal that would go well into a DI. But it's not going to be a matter of just soldering on a different connector.

Countryman is a pretty nice company, though. Worth calling and asking.

Won't work with a standard DI, the signal level will be about -75dB, too low for most applications. There are a few DI's that could be modified to add the gain, but that's more roll your own than most folks are capable of.

• Members

That looks pretty bulky and obtrusive to be useful micing a violin, unless it's smaller than that in real life.

I use this ALL the time on my Violin. It is a very honest Mic. What you hear is how your Violin will sound naturally. Very flat frequency response Mic.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.

I could design, build, and test a box that would provide bias voltage and gain... but like most DIY solutions, the off the shelf options look cheaper, easier, and more rugged-er.

The AT mics have a good rep; we'll see if we can find a local place to try before buying.

Now, to figure out if the fishman banjo pickup is worth a damn...

Archived