PA system for around $1000 for my daughter

• Members

Basic stuff, but... make sure the mic is positioned behind the K12 coverage line, use the low-cut switch on both the guitar and mic channels on the mixer, have her Shen "monitor" positioned in the phase cancellation area behind/beneath her mic, and try to ring out the room for any boomy or sensitive frequencies before the gig... and you should be fine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We've been playing around with the PA this evening and it sounds really nice! We are using her powered Genz Benz Shen 60 amp as a monitor so that's a little tricky, but I think it will be easier when are have more room for separation than we do inside the house.

I have another question that's really not related but you all have given good advice so I'd like to get your thoughts on one other thing.

Her show tomorrow night is in our community so a good number of the people turning out will be friends and family. I'm guessing somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 will be people we don't know, or at least that my daughter does not know.

Do you think it would be appropriate to let her put out a tip jar? While I kind of agree with my wife that it might be a little odd since we know plenty of the people who will be there, I also know that if I went to see anyone else perform (who I wasn't related to), I would not think twice about seeing a tip jar. In fact, I'm usually one of the first to drop in a couple bucks because I know from watching and helping my daughter, that a lot of hard work goes into that. I also know that a lot of girls her age earn money babysitting and stuff. Instead, she spends hours practicing, at vocal lessons, and performing so it makes me feel a little selfish to think about not letting her earn some money for her effort just to avoid a little uncomfortable feeling on my part.

Thoughts?

Many Toronto bars seem to run a PWYC program (pay what you can) instead of a cover. You basically pass the jar around. I've done a few shows like that. Your daughter should be compensated for the entertainment she's working hard to provide. It's part of the gig. Go for it and don't be embarassed.

Archived