JBL SRX set VS KV2 EX set

• Members

I will say that in my opinion, I think the KV2 2.2s just kick the crap out of the SRX718s we were using. For our purposes (pop-rock cover band power trio), ONE 2.2 replaces two SRX718s. Your mileage may vary.

I never felt that really good chest thump with the 718s - the KV2 just slams - we have to turn it down sometimes because it's so efficient - it could easily overpower our tops.

Brian V.

• Members

I might be wrong, but I don't usually compare music gear by "how does it pound" or "how low it goes". I'd rather ask "how good does it sound?" or "how musical is it?", "how appropriate is it for what I do?". Some subs out there pound so hard and go so low that the bass sounds like one note, you don't really distinguish what the guy is playing. This sub will obviously have impressive specs but is it going to complement the band's performance or be a star on it's own?

I haven't heard the EX2.2 and I'm not trying to say that it's better than any other sub out there, but from what I read KV2 speakers have that studio quality that some of us crave in live speakers. It's the characteristic sound of those legendary systems, like Meyer or Clair that seem to belong in another sphere of audio pleasure. I've heard top dollar speakers and even in low SPL there's something about them that's worth the extra dollar, and it's not the ability to pound or go low, but the velvet quality of some frequencies, how they are able to transmit the emotion from the artist to the crowd. Sometimes we forget that audio is also an art!
:thu:

Very well put.

• Members

I might be wrong, but I don't usually compare music gear by "how does it pound" or "how low it goes". I'd rather ask "how good does it sound?" or "how musical is it?", "how appropriate is it for what I do?". Some subs out there pound so hard and go so low that the bass sounds like one note, you don't really distinguish what the guy is playing. This sub will obviously have impressive specs but is it going to complement the band's performance or be a star on it's own?

I haven't heard the EX2.2 and I'm not trying to say that it's better than any other sub out there, but from what I read KV2 speakers have that studio quality that some of us crave in live speakers. It's the characteristic sound of those legendary systems, like Meyer or Clair that seem to belong in another sphere of audio pleasure. I've heard top dollar speakers and even in low SPL there's something about them that's worth the extra dollar, and it's not the ability to pound or go low, but the velvet quality of some frequencies, how they are able to transmit the emotion from the artist to the crowd. Sometimes we forget that audio is also an art!
:thu:

:thu::thu::thu:

Especially the part about (some) subwoofer's just masking all definition in the bass.

I'd rather use no sub at all than have that big dumb THUD that some people seem to crave - not for my band, thanks.

• Members

the JBL is no dumb thud. It is used all over the world and it sounds terrific. I do not even know what to say if you are not getting the hit in the chest feeling. Maybe becaause I am using it for playback (DJ) purposes but the extended low freq sounds nice for hip hop and modern dance music where I would be missing it on a 2.2, now the 2.5.. that looks like a winner!

• Members

the JBL is no dumb thud. It is used all over the world and it sounds terrific. I do not even know what to say if you are not getting the hit in the chest feeling. Maybe becaause I am using it for playback (DJ) purposes but the extended low freq sounds nice for hip hop and modern dance music where I would be missing it on a 2.2, now the 2.5.. that looks like a winner!

Looks like and sounds/feels like are two different things, I think.

I'd be seriously shocked if you found the 2.2 lacking in the low frequencies...honestly.

Have you heard one? Be honest.

Sure, I bet the 2.5 would knock light fixtures down, but the 2.2 is no slouch, and we've never found it lacking even when we play the between-sets dance music (which is often current pop music, which loves the extended lows of hip-hop and club kick drums).

It's very rare when a piece of PA gear just blows me away, and the SRX718 subs never even came close to that - I always felt like we were fighting with them to get output, even with the iTech6000, unless we used four of them (then it was pretty nice, though the chest thump was hard to come by - it would only happen when they were CRANKED). From the moment we fired up the KV2 2.2s, I was floored. Lots of thump, but also lots of clarity and definition in the low frequencies that seemed to be lacking with the sort of flubby-by-comparison SRX718s. It could be operator error, or maybe something was wrong with the 718s or something, I don't know, but it was such a drastic difference it made the JBLs seem like Nadys in comparison.

As others have said, the KV2s are just really musical.

Brian V.

Archived