You know it's time to upgrade your sound system when ...

• Members

You didn't mention drums. Are you using electronic drums?

Nope, real drums, but they don't need amplification in our rehearsal space. Their non amplified volume is just about right. That gives you an idea of how loud we play.

As for the comps, my noob opinion is that any compressor is still better than no compressor at all.

Surprisingly I just noticed I can get a JBL JRX125 for the price of a Yamaha S115V. While the $800 QSC K12 go for 800euro here, the $500 JBL's go for 350euro, strange world ...

Everything tells me that the JBL would be a better fit, especially the second 15" acting like a pseudo-subwoofer.

Anyone has experience with those speakers by chance ? I've heard unpleasant, ear fatiguing highs from some JBL speakers, is that also the case here ? Or are they rather smooth ?

• Members

From everything I have heard the Yamaha clubs are very reliable and take abuse well and are affordable. You might want to consider a 18 inch sub and just 12 inch top boxs if you have some serious lows. Keep your amp and a new mixer and your still around 1400 beans.

• Members

you say that this is your "practice" setup and make no mention of what is in your actual live setup.

with that info missing i would say why not look at a monitor rig instead of buying a PA specifically for practice. you are going to spend the money anyway so why not get something that can do double duty. it would also go a long way toward helping your rehearsals be more like your live show.

• Members

you say that this is your "practice" setup and make no mention of what is in your actual live setup.

with that info missing i would say why not look at a monitor rig instead of buying a PA specifically for practice. you are going to spend the money anyway so why not get something that can do double duty. it would also go a long way toward helping your rehearsals be more like your live show.

Live setup is a whole different story. Our manager takes care of everything. He usually sells a complete show with rental PA, lightshow, VJ, monitors, soundmen (FOH + stage) etc ... Always plenty good stuff and besides we don't really have a say on that matter haha.

A monitor rig for rehearsal ? I don't know really ...

That would mean 7 boxes and ideally an equal number of subgroups on the desk. That's a lot.

Besides, I like that everyone gets the whole picture with the global PA. It reminds everybody to work for a good sound with the band and to adjust their individual instruments accordingly (patches, frequency etc ...)

But I agree that monitors would help alot to get more comfortable with the live show.

• Members

A monitor rig for rehearsal ? I don't know really ...

just thought i would mention it. my band has been practicing with our monitors instead of mains lately and it's working really nicely. no need for the mains since we don't hear those live anyway. and since most of the time there's nothing but vocal in monitors live anyway thats how we do it.

i know that it makes it easier for me to sing in tune if i can have a lot less of the lead singer in my monitor than he would like and since we are both on separate mixes it makes it possible to adjust each of our vocal levels how we want them just like normal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update

I demo'ed a pair of JBL JRX115 and didn't like them at all.

Soundwise they're a step down from the B's in my book.

So looking for options I'm left with the following :

- Yamaha S115V which is still on top of my list

- Yamaha S215V is way overpriced here (2.5x the price of the S115V WTF ??????)

- JBL MRX515 is out of budget here (600euro/piece=$900)

- Peavey stuff : PV115, PV215, PR15N ... I have no idea what they're worth but I'm a bit wary (soundwise)

- Yorkville, QSC, dB Tech, FBT are all either unavail or out of budget

- RCF ART 315 is a bit too expensive 550euro/piece ($800)

- Cerwin-Vega : I was absolutely blown away listening to a tiny 2x8" selfpowered box. Able to deliver dancefloor levels while staying crystal clear and NOT harsh ! I'd love to demo the CVP-1152 or even one of their older INT models to make my mind. Anyone has some experience with these ? I know these are DJ speakers but should that refrain me somehow ? Or not ?

Archived