What Glue To Use??

• Members

MEK glue is one matrerial, I have shifted all of my reconing to using PVA-latex glues for dustcaps, surrounds and spider to basket joints because of CA emission and safety regulations and it works just as well, maybe even better. That's what Eminence uses on their products too.

• Members

I've got a JBL MRX 512m that's voice coil paper cover is coming unglued and is rattling, what glue (epoxy?) do I use to glue it back down?? (The glue JBL used is black) Thanks very much

The bigger question I would ask is why the joint is damaged. I have found that usually it's due to not using a HPF under high powered operation overtime. It's true regardless of speaker brand. The paper cone on the MRX is quite lightweight (good for response) but is not all that robust when driven hard at frequencies below the design of the cabinet.

• Members

BTW The spider is the part that came unglued, not the dust cap

Completely different problem, with a different solution.

If it's rattling already, it's possible that the wire isulation system has been compromiosed on the OD of the voice coil. Even if this were not the case, re-alignment would necessary and unlikely to be successful, and the dust cap needs to be removed and everything shipped and the original glue dissolved etc.

The good news is that a call to JBL should get you some warranty service, this is almost always due to a manufacturing defect and generally they are very good at taking care of it. That would be by far the best way to deal with it, and get a speaker back that you can have 100% confidence in.

Archived