IEMs - isolating against stage volume

• Members

I play guitar/sing in a 60's/70's rock bar band. I use the AT M2 IEM system with the included ear buds. Problem is, even with the earbuds fully inserted/sealed, I can't hear them over the drums and bass, they come through clearly even with my bodypack volume all the way up; the IEM limiters kick in. We're not exactly a LOUD band, but play in small venues and I'm right on top of the drummer, I can play his cymbals for him. He's not a pounder either. Only 100watt Ampeg bass amp. Outdoors, where there's some separation, they work perfectly.

So I'm considering having custom fitted earpieces made (Etymotics, etc.). I'm assuming that I'll get better isolation, but thought I'd get you folks feedback before making the investment. Gonna get custom earplugs too. My hearing is destroyed already from foolishness in my younger days, so I can't do without.

any advice will be appreciated.

• Members

I have the M-Audio dual driver IEMs. They're very good. Excellent isolation. Custom fitted is the best way to go, however. No matter what buds you may be using.

I think you will find that the buds that come with IEM systems are not the best. Some, like the basic shure buds, kinda suck.

• Members

My hearing is destroyed already from foolishness in my younger days, so I can't do without. Any advice will be appreciated.

The best IEM system in the world won't bring back what you don't have. But it will go a long way in protecting what you have left, if used properly. Your first stop should probably be an audiologist to to get an audiogram (I think that's the right term) to find out where your deficiencies lie. If there not to severe you might be able to make up some of it through a good parametric or graphic eq. Remember that on some systems, if you drive the input on the transmitter to hard it may compress there as well as at the body pack.

• Members

My hearing is also pretty much gone. I have tinnitus in my right ear and have had it for over 20 years. I use IEMs and have virtually no stage volume or anything else get into my ears that aren't going through the IEMs.

Sounds like your seal is not quite as good as you think. I use Shure E5s with custom molds. The custom molds are highly recommended and will also be much more comfortable to wear for gigs. I never take mine out once they are in. I have a lav mic that I use for ambient sound and to hold conversations. Works great.

Archived