What is causing my hiss?

• Members

FWIW, my comment was a joke. We get some folks here from time to time who get pissed if we suggest a low or no cost solution that might require some skill, learning, or lord forbid....talent, in favor of some hi-tech big-dollar magic box. An example is the bad singer who thinks a $700 pitch-corrector would be a better solution than a few voice lessons.

Noted. ;) I'd say something cliche like, "you can't polish a turd", but Mythbusters proved that you can, so....

• Members

Be sure you've got connectivity.....it sucks to show up and not be able to plug in because you have 1/4" everywhere and the rig uses XLR. Or your cables are 2 feet too short to reach somewhere important.

I don't think cabling will be a problem. There is a snake hookup on stage and I just need an xlr out of one of the mains on my board and into the snake. I can run 1/4" out if need be. I've got all the cables I need for my PA rig. But, I hear what you are saying.

• Members

I personally would use their EQ and set yours flat. Remember that they will most likely have outboard EQ, compression, limiting, gates, FX, crossover, etc... There could be a bunch of outboard gear that can destroy the system if improperly used. There are just a bunch of potential problems that can occur especially if you consider the experience level of the operators. There are people that can go in there and make everything work fine while others can make it sound really bad and potentially damage equipment that they are not familiar with. It might be worth $50 to have the guy come out to check your setup. Where are you located? Maybe someone here can help.

That makes sense. I totally understand why they'd rather us bring our own. Setting the EQ flat on my board does make more sense now that you mention it. We are playing in Chesapeake City, MD at the Cheaspeake Inn.

• CMS Author

That makes sense. I totally understand why they'd rather us bring our own. Setting the EQ flat on my board does make more sense now that you mention it. We are playing in Chesapeake City, MD at the Cheaspeake Inn.

IINM, Zeromus-x, a bass forum regular and occasional haunter here might have plaed there too..."Atlantic Crossing" is their band, I think. If I'm right you might want to ask him about the setup there.

• Members

I just heard from the owner and he said the sound guy will be there this afternoon. The sound guy is supposed to call when he gets there and I'm going to meet up and start loading in at that time. I guess we can figure it out then. I won't have the rest of the guys for a sound check, but I can get an idea what it's going to sound like with the fiddle and vocals. If it sounds like crap I can always run home and grab the other equipment. I live only 10 minutes from the place.

I've been upstairs for a wedding reception but have never hung out downstairs for the live bands. Strange, considering how popular it is and how close I am. I checked out the the downstairs yesterday afternoon and there's a decent amount of stage area, plenty of seating, and what looks to be a nice house system(if we use it). Looking forward to it.

• Members

Worked like a champ. Ran the submix from my Yahmaha into a single channel on their huge Allen and Heath console. Probably wasn't the ideal mix on my end but the levels seemed ok and the sound was nice and clean.

We had a great turnout. The bouncer said we pulled in the best Friday crowd they've seen since September! Big fun last night.

• Members

Worked like a champ. Ran the submix from my Yahmaha into a single channel on their huge Allen and Heath console. Probably wasn't the ideal mix on my end but the levels seemed ok and the sound was nice and clean.

We had a great turnout. The bouncer said we pulled in the best Friday crowd they've seen since September! Big fun last night.

Congrats.

Archived