My first new song in 10+ years, a Mini-Prog Epic

Dean Roddey

• Members

So this is my first song in at least 10 years and my first time here on Harmony Central in maybe as long. Can't remember exactly when the last one was, but a long time ago. I had to sell everything off to try to rescue a floundering company. Should have kept the gear since it still floundered... It was slightly too big to upload, so here's a link to a high quality version

High Quality FLAC

If you don't want to do that, here's a Soundcloud version, though it doesn't sound nearly as nice:

Sound Cloud Version

This is, by modern standards, super-old school. It's 99% as recorded with all EQ, compression and effects committed during recording, with no tuning, editing, or automation, and all dynamics are performed. Only two plugins were used because I had no choice, BFD for drums via a Roland e-kit and a piano synth, and even there it was all committed during recording. I punched in sometimes to save an otherwise good take. The 'mix' was just running it through an SSL clone with the needle twitching.

* Well, there are also a few instances of the 2 band Renn EQ where I found I needed to notch out a bit from some of the first tracks to make a bit of room as I started layering things up. Otherwise all the processing and f/x was via outboard gear on the way in.

All my time was put into finding the right parts and getting the right sound for those parts. If everyone says it sucks in some way sonically, and fixing it doesn't require becoming a data processor I may fix it. But I've spent enough time on this one and need to move forward. And I don't have any interest in perfection at all, so I'm happy with it being humanly imperfect.

Oh, and the other thing is, I've gotten one batch of room treatment. Another is on the way, but my room is in no way currently trustworthy as a gauge of low end at the moment, so I was leaning heavily on headphones for this one. Given that, I maybe should have gone with something that wasn't so monster bass in nature.

Anyhoo, I'd love to get some feedback.

Archived