Why do Pro Audio Subs not sound good in Home

• Members

I've used my JBL SRX 2x18 subs in my basement rehearsal area for years. It's about a 600 sq ft space with frankly awful acoustics, but they sound really good to me. I've also used the rig with my video system and that's....impressive.....

And fun... :D

• CMS Author

And fun...
:D

Except one afternoon when I was enjoying a game of 8-ball and listening to some Zeppelin, when a thunderstorm rolled in. I saw a flash in the basement window, the lights went out, and having a DRPA in the rig, I heard a deafening BOOOOOOM!!!!! I thought the house was hit by lightning, but it was the DRPA power down spike.

And why I use 1x rms power and the amp's limiters. No damage, except possibly my heart.

• Members

Jeff at JTR Speakers announced a new Growler DUO to be released soon that is suppose to " bridges the gap between Home Theater and Professional subwoofers."

The Growler Duo has a button on the 4000 watt amplifier, labeled "LOW", that when pushed in, will tune the subwoofer for low frequency reproduction, capable of 122db at 20hz at the sitting position in a home theater and has useful output below (115db at 15hz, 106db at 10hz).

Growler Duo in "LOW" mode is +/-3db from 20-180hz in a home theater room and in normal mode can produce 137db and is +/-3db from 37-180hz, outdoors on the ground.

Archived