Difference between behringer xenyx and eurorack mixers?

• Members

I've seen DBX 1046 and 1066 comps spec'd, as well as some Symmetrix, TC and Aphex units. Then there's the whole esoteric and vintage scene like JBL/Urei, etc.

Yeah the Aphex stuff is starting to catch on. I'm a big fan of their dynamics processing. Very transparent stuff. Everybody seems to want a tube comp these days too. So what is the Composer a copy of?

• Members

I wonder if they both say Mackie inside.:rolleyes: Apparently all you have to do is reverse left and right in your controls and you're good to go. A mirror is certainly cheaper than an R&D department. And that my friends is part of why it's cheap. With shortcuts that obvious, even if you get past the ethics issue, if you REALLY need to count on it, the justification for purchasing the brand isn't much better than Uli's shoddy and shameless production of the stuff. Sure, some of it will work and for the time span intended. Still, do you really want to go with the brand you'd pick last in gym class?

p43043.jpg

B205D_P0957_Front_web.jpg

• Members

(...)when I was reading and filling riders for national touring acts on a daily basis the behringer composer and dbx 166 were the standard rider friendly comp/gate unit for fx racks. I am not talking about"Joe and the Shmoes" at the local dive bar. I mean the big 20,000 seat arena shows.

Not saying that I don't believe you, but I played bass with South American international acts from 1988 to 2001 and have NEVER seen a Behringer piece of gear, EVER... DBX's were rare too.

99% of large, professional PA's had Klark Teknik units for compression, limiting and gating... DN500 series, I believe...

National acts in the USA could be different, but I highly doubt...

• Members

Yeah the Aphex stuff is starting to catch on. I'm a big fan of their dynamics processing. Very transparent stuff. Everybody seems to want a tube comp these days too. So what is the Composer a copy of?

Seems like I remember the original Composer being a copy of some model of Drawmer comp.... There's honestly no way I could see the modern ones being spec'd by a touring act these days, they simply aren't in the same league they used to be in back when they were made in Germany.... and as you mentioned, there is a lot of new stuff out that's very cool, too.

Archived