OT: I hate lights!

• Members

You hung stuff without testing it?

-Dan.

Ungrounded pipe no less.

Maybe there was a wiring error and 240 volts went to the (now) bad pack and the light failed from overvoltage?

This is a textbook case of how NOT to do this.

• Members
Ungrounded pipe no less.

Maybe there was a wiring error and 240 volts went to the (now) bad pack and the light failed from overvoltage?

This is a textbook case of how NOT to do this.

Now don't get too high and mighty.
The new panel was installed by a licensed electrician and was metered when finished and 240 volts was and is not present. Granted the pipe is not grounded yet as I never considered it. My bad, I'll fix it. I might even get around to grounding the six hang pipes in the Sanctuary some day. (I had nothing to do with that install.)
All lighting fixtures were tested to the extent that they lit up when I put new plugs on them and new bulbs in them and cords were inspected for lose wiring. The two used dimmer packs were tested at home before hanging with some work lights and my little DMX controller. They worked fine then and also when I installed them on Thursday. The one blew when I went to do finally focusing and trimming on Friday evening after the band set up and I had something to focus on.
No, I did not test the two new dimmer packs prior to hanging because for whatever reason, they were three days late arriving via FedEx and they were brand new. I have this quaint old habit of expecting new product to actually work. I'm trying to adjust my expectations.

Thanks for all the input, I'll definatly look into the worn socket issue suggestion. I'm sure there are more modern and efficient fixtures and bulbs out now and I'd be glad to entertain any donation offers.:lol: Winston

• Members

You'll get no argument from me regarding the varying levels of expertise in any number of "licensed" professions.:lol: That's why I metered it myself this time around after the "professional" I hired last year tied in wrong and blew a rented dimmer pack with 240v at the outlet.

I do try to learn when burned, but there are only so many areas where I can pretend to be an expert and in the end must eventually trust the recommendations of others for a contractor to hire.

So far, my opinion of lighting hasn't changed. Winston

Archived